TEAC V8030-S Tape Decks

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

3 head dual capstan dolby s

Submitted by charly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
PART 2
.....After having spent more than six months ripping out my hair from having to take back the unit to an authorised repair centre here in Italy for that 'power glitch' I wrote in my previous review, I cannot have the fortune in having the unit here at home with me......I'm in constant battle eith TEAC Italia because according to a Mr Agostini at TEAC they cannot find the problem!!!!
I have also recieved an e-mail from somebody who owns 2 of these decks and is experiancing the same problem as I am......do any of you have a problem with the deck as I have??? if so PLEASE tell me what the problem was so I can communicate those clowns at Audiotest at Modena/Italy!!!!!!!!

Submitted by charly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
well......what can i say...i've been using (and still am)a Revox B215 tape deck which to ME, is probably only surpassed by the Nak Dragon (which is what I was looking for but out of production some time now and very rare to find used)....in thoery.
Although the B215 is over 17 years old and STILL going like a train it is still the tape deck yet to be surpassed. The V8030s sound is very 'vinyle-like'.very detailed and precise.....with a sweet 'valve-like' sound. Build is top notch 100%, nice and heavy with that goergous looking front brushed aluminiom front panel.....I bought this monster used from a Rock Musician here in Italy, but it has a small minor technical problem (while ON and playing, it makes small contact in which it goes off-on by itself, according to a technician it is only a small power glitch) and will be repaired free tomorrow......the V8030s is replacing my beloved Aiwa Excelia XK007 which 'died' some time now.... for me (i could be wrong) matches in all aspects a decent nakamichi....not that pathetic looking Nakamichi DR10, which compared to the Teac, seems like an overpriced lump of plastic.....the Teac for what it is deserves to be given a higher price compared to other so called 'decks'....

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Patrick Mattucci a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a kid growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, I would read Stereo Review, High Fidelity and Audio magazine. Back then, it was as much fun to check out the advertisements as it was to read the equipment reviews. (Especially in Stereo Reviews case) At what I would consider to be the height of the cassette medium, the offerings from Nakamichi, Eumig and Tandberg were incredible to look at, and incredibly priced for the time. Kenwood,Pioneer, and Denon had some great ones too. Being just a kid, all I could afford was a top loading Teac A-170s. A good deck for its time, even though it only had regular Dolby NR which I never used. Better to put up with hiss than listen to music that sounded like it was being played through a pillow.
Years later and now in my mid 30's, I saw this baby on E-Bay. No reserve, and no competition-just how I like it! I snapped it up and waited for it to arrive.
I was impressed! This deck is built like the ones I lusted after when I was a kid, only better. It's simple to use, I never had to consult the manual for anything other than how to adjust the bias, and it records much better than any mini disc or CD recorder I have ever used. Period. I don't hate digital either, folks. I'm just telling it like it is. Using the better TDK and Maxell Chrome blanks, I made copies of the Beatles Original Masters recordings from the 1st album to the last that were excellent. I A/B'd these tapes with copies I made from a friends CD recorder, and there is no comparison. One thing that has me a little curious is Dolby S. I was under the impression that it would be significantly better than Dolby C. It was anything but. True, the cassetes sound better encoded in S and played back on B, but encoded in C and played back in C I think is still the way to go. I know cassette is on the outside looking in these days, but this deck has been a 1st class trip down memory lane for me, and I must say that it is still the best way to archive valuable recordings from a sonic stand point. Also, I love its build quality, which is more substantial than many home theater power amps and receivers I see on the shelves these days.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by Lucas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is a nice tape deck, much better than the Sony TCK661 I have owned previously. However it's overall performance and sound of recordings can not be compared with the sound of a good CD or record player due to the restrictions in the dynamic region of cassete. Only when using a first class tape, like the Sony Metal Master or equivalent, the recording comes very very close to the original source.
Overall if you plan to record mainly from CD, a good CD recorder will be a much better choice but if you want to make vinyl recordindgs then the TEAC will provide much better results.

Submitted by Florin Penciu a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had this deck for a few days,bought new from J&R Music World for $700.Here is my opinion about it.Build quality:5 stars.Significant cons: not made in Japan.Sound quality: using its own calibration system is a quick, easy way to adjust a tape prior to recording BUT the copy was not even close to the original! Another deck (3-head Sony,purchased also from J&R) performed much better in this respect,although neither the copy obtained with its calibration was nearly identical with the original,but it was closer than Teac's.And this at a much lower price! Anyway,to be fair I must say that calibrating the tape by ear the Teac deck provided copies absolutely non-discernible from the original, wonderfully detailed and dynamic!Better than other similarly priced or lower priced decks. However,defective or not,its calibration system is a feature that doesn't work as it is supposed to but it's paid for,so I would rather go for a more minimalistic deck with fine bias and 3-head capability so the sound can be adjusted by ear---THE most sensitive tool---and you pay,basically,only for sound quality.So I sent the Teac back because of its improper calibration system, inferior to the Sony's, I kept the Sony for making tapes for my car and I'll buy a minimalistic deck such as the Nak DR-10. As for Teak 8030:
-build quality *****(minus 1/2 because it's not made in Japan and another 1/2 because of its calibration system believed to be defective by the manufacturer but probably it's not).I believe that this actuall is the way this deck is,as a result of no listening tests during the manufacturing process,whatsoever!
-sound quality:*****calibrated by ear; ***1/2,calibrated using its own system.
-overall rating: **** Any new comments will be appreciated.

Premier Mounts: