Onkyo TA-RW544 Tape Decks

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by qwert1234 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
Do not listen to old-n-good. He knows nothing about cassettes, because if he did he would know cassettes can have a sound quality up there with reel 2 reel, take a listen to what nakamichi produced in the 80's. ever heard of a nakamichi Dragon.

Purchased At:   work

Submitted by old-n-good a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I just found this deck at Salvation Army yesterday for $10

Hard to believe that a $200-300 cassette deck, would basically be THROWN AWAY as useless trash by someone.

It was in the box and included owner's manual.

Purchased At:   SALVATION ARMY

Submitted by prichard9966 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
see strengths and weaknesses

Purchased At:   local stereo joint

Submitted by Brian a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
After reading the review below about the unit having high frequency problems and not noticing that problem myself, I decided to check it out.

I took my Radio Shack SPL meter (set to "slow" response and the "C" weighting) and mounted it on a tripod in the middle of my listening area. I then played an audio test CD that has test tones from 50Hz to 18000Hz over my player using a digital optical connection using my BA VRM60 speakers (known for their high freq abilities) and measured the sound output in decibels. The first two tones are refrence tones at +10dB above operating level. These results in are in dB and are shown below in the "CD" column. I then copied the CD test tones onto a Maxell chromium oxide tape using the TARW544 with no noise reduction and measured the playback of the tape in the same manner as I did for the CD, but playback occured over the TARW544. These results are shown in dB under the "Tape" column.

Hz CD Tape Tape-CD
12000 61 61 0
14000 58 57 -1
16000 61 57 -4
18000 61 <50 <-11

As you can see, my living room is far from acoustically ideal. The CD tones sould all be at 60dB and the refrence tones should be at about 70dB. That's something for me to deal with later (with the little lady's approval, of course). Anyways, since no part of the setup (or my lving room) was changed between the CD and tape playback, the two should have the same acoustic profile.

It looks like there may be some diffrences. A difference of 3-4dB's is probably not significant, because the meter is an analog device and the needle does wander a bit. On top of that, I didn't do replicates so I can't estimate what difference is actually significant. There was a spike at 10KHz of 8dB and the response crashed somewhere between 16KHz and 18KHz. Metal tapes are supposed to crash at 17KHz, so that's not unexpected.

Apparently the TARW544 does keep a fairly flat response at higher frequencies...

Aside from that, the unit has top notch build quality, recording in both wells, and excellent fittings and features. I'm nothing but happy with it!

If you want a new tape deck, you can get one of these for 200$. That's a "giant killer" deal!

Submitted by PrinzII a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have owned this deck for almost 2 years and have been rather impressed with its clarity when recording tapes.
As the owner's manual suggests, I have stuck with Maxell (but I have test recorded on TDK) and love the tonal balance and clear definition of this deck.
I have used this deck to record services at church and everyone who listens to the recording is impressed with the quality.

Purchased At:   Circuit City