Onkyo TA-RW505 Tape Decks

2-head 2-motor dual well tape deck

Submitted by Tim a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have an Onkyo TX-SV525 receiver and an Onkyo DX-C530 6-disc changer. I bought the TA-RW505 tape deck to "replace" my Onkyo Integra TA-2058 3-head, 3-motor tape deck. I really wanted to be able to control the tape deck through the receiver's remote, and have a model that visually "matched" my current CD player and receiver. (the 10-year-old TA-2058 had the old LED displays and was 1/2" shorter in width than my current set-up.) The newer TA-RW505 has some very useful features that the older tape deck didn't have, like auto-reverse, RI remote compatibility, 2 tape "holders" instead of one, etc. The older tape deck sounds noticeably better in terms of wow and flutter and tape stability than my new one, and the new one has a VERY annoying "problem", being that you cant dub tape-to-tape EXACTLY within a second or two, which makes my short spliced-together-songs IMPOSSIBLE. The older Integra model was much much better on quality, but the new one has a multitude of useful features. Since I'm only 15 years old, i couldn't afford a much nicer tape deck than this if i were to buy a tape deck brand new like this one.
-Tim

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile