Nakamichi ZX-9 Tape Decks

3heads, bias fine tuning/record level/record adjustable azimuth calibration, Dolby B/C, dual capstan, direct drive, gold inputs/outputs, output level control, circa '82-'85.

Submitted by Ondrej a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hmm, what can I say on top od all odes written here. I'm affraid I can only add my additional one.
I have had in my hands many top cassette decks including Nakamichi Dragon, ZX-7, Technics RS-9900, RS-M95, RS-M280, RS-B100, RS-B905, Harman Kardon CD-491, JVC TD-V1010, Akai GX-95, GX-75, Aiwa AD-F990, 770, 660, AD-6900, Alpine AL-85, AL-80.........
No one of them was able to record any kind of track so perfectly as ZX-9 can do! None of them was able to calibrate absolutely perfectly ANY cassettes I ever tried to insert. And I can swear it was already hundreds of different brands, lenghts, condition from my collection.
ZX-9 was even able to get 100% fidelity from beautiful but extremely difficult Teac CRC-90. It's ultra long 90 minutes cassette with reels inside. Normally lenght of those kind of "design" cassettes is 46, 52 or maybe 60 minutes. Tape CRC-90 is 90 minutes one and therefore uses extremely thin band. Most probably it's thinness is equal to rarely produced 180minute cassettes. Even otherwise excellent Dragon was not able calibrate this cassette correctly. Sound from this cassette was always distorted above 0dB and tape level always dropped some 2-5dB down compare to source depends on decks I've tried. Nakamichi ZX-9 pulled level 2-3dB above zero without hearable distorsion and tape/source left identical in level and sound quality.
It's also first cassette deck able to record fast electronic hi-hats at beginning of "AIR-Cherry Blossom Girl" identicaly to original when using Dolby C and top cassetes like TDK MA-X / SA-X or similar.
You can try to record this song with any other cassette deck and any kind of cassette.
The significant sound difference will be more or less present, especially when using Dolby C. This is not valid for ZX-9! You will hear no difference in tape/source comparison (I listen on excellent Dynaudio studio monitors :)
As written in some other thread, this is also world champion in ability rise tape saturation level skyhigh. Most of the top quality tapes can be modulated without hearable distorsion to the levels, where some other top decks are missing LED segments on their indicators :)
Simply amazing technological achievement Nakamichi can be proud of.
I finaly found my ultimate cassette deck! ZX-9 is end od the road in cassette heaven! :)

Submitted by Tony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Simply the Best

Submitted by Leguan5 a

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best tape deck I have ever owned. It shurely beats my ZX-7 as well as the machines made by Tandberg and Eumig I owned several years ago. I use it primary to record rare vinyl records. But it also works well as an instrument to make cds sound more analoge. Compared to the ZX-7 it gives you a deeper soundstage and adds resolution esp. in the bass level. I would never sell this machine and highly recommed it to any serious listener. So if you see one of these on the used market and it seems to work fine grap it!

Submitted by Fred a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I purchased this deck, I knew what Nakamichi tape decks were capable of but was completely unprepared for the level of high performance from this tape deck. The ZX-9 provides "features" that enable the user to attain perfect recordings every time. The recording head azimuth, recording bias, and levels can be optimally calibrated before starting a recording. Every recording I've made with this machine is an exact duplication of the original. When switching between the source and the recorded signal via the monitor switch, I do not detect any difference between the two. The headroom on this machine is like no other that I've experienced. When recording with metal tape, I can set the levels as high as +8dB without encountering ANY distortion. Nakamichi recommends a high recording level when using metal tape to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. Recordings made with normal bias tape are equally good. With previous decks, I could never get acceptable off-air recordings. Finally, with the ZX-9, I could record off-air broadcasts and get back an exact duplicate of the broadcast. When I first purchased this deck, I found that it revealed a serious mismatch in my tonearm/cartridge setup when recording from vinyl. I could not hear my cartridge mistracking when played through my now replaced receiver. When I made recordings on the ZX-9, the mistracking distortion was glaringly apparent. I have since replaced the cartridge and recordings from vinyl are superior. I use the ZX-9 when making reference recordings and for serious listening. When burning CDs of LPs, I go to the ZX-9 first. There is a warmth, and body that the ZX-9 exhibits as well as crisp unsmeared highs that my CD-burner doesn't have. It's unfortunate that Nakamichi nologer produces such machines these days. Anyone Nak enthusiast who is looking for a high-end cassette deck should get the ZX-9 if they can find one.

System:

Marantz CDR-6000 cd-recorder
Concept 2QD turntable w/ Ortofon Super OM20 cartridge

Submitted by K.J. Parsons a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The cassette deck is really something to behold. In my opinion, absolutely the nicest analog sounds recorded and reproduced from vinyl sources.

I must confess that I adore my RX-505 a minute amount above the ZX-9, if only because I tend to enjoy the continuous playback action of the unidirectional autoreverse system. Both are magnificent specimens of classic Nakamichi engineering. Sound recording and playback of the ZX-9 is astounding. Of course, the key to excellence with all Nak gear use is keeping the equipment at optimum specifications, including transport mechanism constantly cleaned and demagged.

Another point I want to emphasize is that the ZX-9 is the cassette deck that predates the Dragon, and is built to the highest specifications Nakamichi could attain in a commercially produced cassette deck. Nearly indestructable, and truely a multifaceted and functional piece of cassette deck craftsmanship.

ZX-9's are rare nowdays, very desirable for collectors. Grab one, and you will be pleased with what you see and hear!