Nakamichi BX-300 Tape Decks

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Hifitherapist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
Not much mine that I can say that hasn't been said about this great deck. Ergonomically it's not the greatest design. No auto tape type selector, no auto monitor function and I wish the cassette well was back lit, also the cassette window could be bigger but it's not nearly as ridiculous as windows on the cassette deck 1 or 1.5 etc. However the sonics are outstanding. Nakamichi really put all the money where it counts. Unless one has a Dragon or Cr-7 for direct comparison one would be en cloned to think that it doesn't get any better than the BX-300. I have a Dragon but if I didn't I could live happily ever after with the BX-300. I've had mine for 13 year not a single problem.

Submitted by gmnguyen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
I got the BX-300 more than a month ago for $60. It did not rewind and ate tape when I got it. I replaced the idler tire and this tape deck works like new. It has low hours of use. The magnetic heads are in perfect condition. This BX-300 just simply blows my 2-head BX-150 away. The BX-150 come close to the BX-300 when using TDK SA tape but the BX-300 bias fine tune can make all other tapes sound identical to the source. Even normal tape recorded by the BX-300 sounds better than Cr02 tape on other decks. I have many tape decks such as BX-2, BX-150, NAD, B&O and none of them can make good recording on normal tape. The BX-300 is my first tape deck that makes me believe it does have 20kHz bandwidth. Now I don't even need to select tape quality because all tape sounds great on this machine. The BX-300 sounds much better than DVD players. It sounds as good as my Arcam Alpha7 CD player.

Submitted by dimitar_pg13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
Hello,

I have my Nak BX-300 for an year and a half. My hobby is restauration of high end vintage cassette decks from the 80s and the end of the 70's. The other cassette decks currently at home are Revox B215, Nak Dragon, Nak RX-505, Nak 680ZX, Tandberg TCD-440A, Pioneer CT-F1250, Pioneer CT-S800 (i.e. CT-91 Elite). I bought the BX-300 from Ebay for 50 bucks - it needed belt replacement. I have to say it has an absoleutly gorgeous sound both in playback and recording. The frequency response is easily +/- 2 dB within 20Hz-21KHz - I did the measurements with my SigmaTel 192 KHz audio card on my laptop using the Virtins Audio Frequency analyzer + signal generator. The recording is absoultelly indistinguishable than the playback at least to my ear. This is true even to classical music. Shostakovich sounds excellent on BX-300 as much as on the Dragon or the RX-505. The wow & flutter is very low becuase this cassette deck uses the same cog-free capstan motor as Nak ZX-9 and Dragon (only the Dragon has 2 of those 1 per capstan). Bias control and pitch control are very useful. This is clearly one of the best Nak decks you can buy these days especially if you do not want to spend too much money on vintage deck. Very simple construction , very easy to maintain - belt replacement and idler tire replacement. The only week spot of this deck which I could point out is the idler tire - it is tiny and finicky. But the idler tire can be upgraded with gear transport which are more durable. Due to this idler tire problems many problem conclude that the motor needs replacement which is incorrect; these motors are very reliable.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by dochroch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
I love/loved my BX-300 deck. It was working flawlessly until about two years ago (2005), then every so often it wouldn't rewind properly. In 2007 this became problematic to the point that it needed repair. This is where www.nakamichi.us comes in (aka Electronic Service Labs). I just want to warn buyers of used Nak equipment (or folks thinking about repairing their Naks) that fully repairing their machines is a considerable investment. A Nak deck refurb is a $800+ deal! There are few (if any other) places in the US that have this kind of expertise and access to parts. Yes, you do get the equivalent of a new tape deck but you need to decide whether it's worth the investment. I suspect many 20 yr old Nak decks are starting to experience motor drive issues. The BX-300 refurb updated some known weak components and replaced others. Suggestion: If you can find a used BX-300 that's gone through a recent refurb at a decent price, you've gotten a bargain!

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco

Submitted by soundnut69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
The best tape deck I have EVER had or used (from a sonic standpoint at least.) I currently have 4 3-head machines including:

Sony TC-K555 (early ES series)
Teac C-2X (Identical to early Tascam 122 broadcast deck)
Tandberg TCD-440A
Nakamichi BX-300

And I've had other 3-head decks (Onkyo Integras, Pioneers, TEACs) and the Nak is hands down, the best sounding deck I have ever used. (You'll notice my others don't exactly suck either, so this is a big compliment.) I work at a broadcast facility with Studer & Tascam machines, and when I want to record something that sounds exactly like the original on cassette, I use my Nak at home. It works perfectly under heavy use every time, and the sound is perfect. Maybe the Dragon, etc. sound as good or better but my BX-300 makes dead-on copies of the originals to my ears. I want another one! And it has a pitch control, which is a great feature.

Purchased At:   a pawn shop