Nakamichi BX-100 Tape Decks

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

single-well, uni-directional cassette deck (ca.'84-'87)

Submitted by nandito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderfull tape deck. No wonder this brand reputation. I got this unit recently and to be honest it looked quite used. Nevertheless I decided to get it and refurbish it myself as much as possible.
At first I played some tapes and there was a lot of wow and flutter.
All I needed was a cotton swab and alcohol to clean heads,belts, Idler wheel etc.
The result: the sound is smooth, with no trace of wow or flutter at all!!! something I have never experienced from cassettes. The recordings almost identical to the original material! And this one was a basic model!!
All this for about $ 30. I am so happy.
Another good thing: this model is less complicated than other higher end Naks. So it is easier to service and repair.
If you like analog and have tapes, go for it.

Submitted by janos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Picked up the Nak BX-100 in the thrift store at a quite bad condition, there were rust and paint (?) marks in the cassette compartment, but it played back all right. Cleaned it with a cotton swab & propanol.
For over two years it has been used quite a lot, and I just changed the idler wheel tire with a replacement tire from ebay. A word for those who'll do it by themselves: make sure to scrape off the remains of the old tire!

Troubleshooting tip:
If the deck stops, and does not want to wind, you probably need to replace the idler wheel tire - a few bucks only and some work that can be done by anyone. This is a frequent problem with the BX-100, otherwise it is built to last.

Sonics: this tape deck plays back much superior than other tape decks I heard. (Sony 3 head, Yamaha KX-390). Noise floor is much lower, and you get the same performance from normal tapes as you would get from metal tapes with the Yamaha / Sony. The Nak has a very good, relaxed tonal balance. Very listenable source, represents a different level compared to everyday tape decks. I would consider it as a high quality playback source, easily keeps up with CD or even surpasses it, with more natural presentation on the cost of some background hiss - which is much harmless to the ears than the inaudible, yet definite noise of digital (feels to some people like the room has been charged up).

On Dolby B: I do not mind that the deck has only Dolby B. I never use it anyway. The different Dolbys lower the tape hiss a few dbs, but they take away so much from naturalness and dynamics, that you'll get the feeling that you are listening to poor digital.

I have not toyed too much with recording, but it seems that record quality is fine.

It's a great tape deck. 5*.

Purchased At:   thrift store

Submitted by John Stefani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned this deck for 16 years. It is currently in the shop for its second idler wheel service (common with this model) and to replace some belts. The only other service it required was for a failed record head. Like most Nakamichi decks from the '80s and early '90s, the BX-100 is sonically excellent. The only complaint people could say is that it only features Dolby "B" ...but who cares? If I remember correctly, very few people ever used Dolby "C" even when it was available to them on other decks. Reliability? This is perhaps another area that disappoints Nak users. Nak decks end up in the shop more than we like them to. Partly because they get used alot. And partly because they can be unreliable. But when they are working, they perform better than those clunky old Pioneer decks from the '70s that are still kicking along. And to be quite truthful, I suppose three repairs over 16 years isn't TOO unreasonable for the mileage this BX-100 has seen.

Purchased At:   Better Audio (Windso

Submitted by dean naysmith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this deck in 1984. It had continuous use daily for well over 10 years. I used to make my own tapes of various songs so it was continuously stop/start. These seemed to be on a daily basis as well as making tapes for friends.Rating:

Purchased At:   Encel Hi fi Richmond

Submitted by Carl C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Yes this was a great tape deck. It was slighted when it was first introduced because it used only Dolby "B" to reduce tape hiss. Truthfully, almost all Nakamichi decks would make such great recordings that most tape decks WITH dolby couldn't make better recordings than a Nak without any dolby used. I haven't had as much luck with keeping my Nak in operating condition as the other reviewer here. I have replaced the drive capistan three times. Not because it is cheap, but because I used it so much in those days before inepensive CD players. I still used it a lot until the newer CD recorders came out. Still it is much more convienient than any CD recorder. Unfortunately,the electronics are finally showing signs of wearing out, and the mechanicals I have jury rigged together because Nakamichi had pulled out of the US market (at least through the midwest)and no service centers were to be found for a number of years. Now that THE Nakamichi company has purchased back its name from those people who tried to sell "Goldstar-like" quality equipment at Best Buys under the Nakamichi name, perhaps I can obtain some help for this old friend... but then again, there are now newer model Naks on the market (actual Nakamichis!). Yeah, they're a little more expensive than the old BX-100, but they are as good as an analog casette tape deck will ever get.

BTW - The value rating and overall rating here has always confused me. I've always thought of the value rating as a return for dollars spent. The overall rating I've always tought of as being more like a price independant rating, whereas "Overall" implies it is a value plus performance rating. This particular product I will give a 5 star rating for its value and a very high four star rating for its overall sound compared to any other recording device (yes there is at least one better Nakamichi tape deck, no Dolby C, it is analog, yes ALL tape has wow & flutter - although if we're considering only analog Casette tape decks, it is certainly a low five), but if I were to combine the value plus satisfaction factor it would earn a 5.

Confused? Well just take my word for it, this is a damn good dolby B analog casette tape recorder..if you can find one in good working condition for a few hundred dollars, pick it up.

Purchased At:   The Audio Room