Harman Kardon TD392 Tape Decks

3 head cassette deck w/ bias adj.

Submitted by Lonchaneyjrfan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
My first semi pro cassette deck. Bought it (full price) in 1990. Has given very good service over the years,though sound quality and taping quality is sounding tired. Dolby B,C,S. Dolby HX Pro. Bias adjust. For the price and reputation,very good recording. Now plays back tapes warped. Have had it serviced. Recording meters uneven. Dolby B is best. Two headmachine.

Purchased At:   Brack Audio Toronto

Submitted by Carl Olofsson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
This deck is really good. Many of my old recordings sounds graet. Maybe it have a little too high noiselevel but the frequencyresponse is between 20-22KHz. With metal tape and right bias setting it's hard to hear the differance between cd and cassette.

Purchased At:   Hifi-Konsult, Alingsås, Sweden

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Not sure about the model year as I have owned this tape deck for some time. It has always worked fine and I still listen to tapes I made years ago. It is not loaded with a lot of what would be called "features" today, but is made in the best tradition of HK quality. (I have noted the reports of relability issues with recent HK receivers.

My problem is that my sound system has been down for a couple of years following a move and I have lost the TD 392 manual. I have reassembled my system would like to record a few tapes, but have forgotten how to adjust the bias using the test tone provided with this unit for that purpose. Any advice out there? anyone have a manual? HK has them but they want $23 including shipping for it. Seems ridiculus. I asked the above question by email of them, but they haven't responded, so I have knocked the value rating down by one star.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

MS 1400W: