PS Audio P600 Power Conditioners

4.14/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

a high end 600 watt AC power generator that produces new line voltage used to perfectly power your equipment and, in so doing, make a huge sonic and visual difference.

Submitted by Charles a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
As another viewer stated, I'm glad Eric wrote his review, so I won't be alone in basically giving this product a bad review. Not that its not well built and that PS Audio doesn't seem like a good company to do business with. In my experience, they are.
But I've tried the P600 in a couple of my different systems now and what I notice is after the P600 has been in place for a while I find reproduced sound has a sameness about it that removes the music for me. It takes me a while to really notice this because I have to due without for a while before I really miss it (I can listen to some digital to as long as I go back to analog and for the same reason). The best description I can give is
imagine a bubble and a bowling ball of the same size. Without the P600, I can tell which is denser. With the P600 everything seems to have the same weight (it may go lower or higher like the bubble getting bigger or smaller, but when it hits, you know its a bubble, not a bowling ball). An example, it made a Denon sound in a way that reminded me of an Audio Research in that it was clear and open (which is good). But at the same time the Denon lost its ability to convey differences between sounds. As Eric has said about the P600, there are times when a live instrument has an aggressiveness to it and with the P600 in place that aggressiveness was gone. Very hi-fi , but not acurate and not musical. I've also tried it on other, higher grade amps (Krell, Audio Research) with the same result. I've had better results with video (although not the startling diffences some have claimed) in that a 'pulsing' seen through a DVI cable when the DVD player's blue screensaver was presented vanished with the P600 in place. But I really didn't notice blacker blacks, more vibrant colors et al. Now some of this may be my location (away from most people with my own power poles and transformer) or may be due to having my audio/video equipment on its own circuit. But I find myself disagreeing with most published reviews that gush about this being a wonder product with no downsides. And, like the other negative reviewers have stated, it probably works best with lower end equipment (although then, who's going to want to pay the cost) with less than stellar power supplies.

Purchased At:   audionut

Submitted by Home Theater Factory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Full disclosure - I am a new PS Audio dealer. I had been watching the Power Plants from a distance for a while and liked the regenerated power concept. So I took the dive on a P-500 (P-600 isn't made anymore). I am very happy with the product. It does everything they say it will but not necessarily with every product it drives.

It definitely improved the performance of my traditional tv and also my AV system. The colors on the TV improved, and the depth (3D) improved. It was like getting a new tv. The sound reveals more details and I would say that the sound stage (width) widened.

However, my overhead projector (Infocus 5700) did not benefit as much. The depth improved and made for a more pleasing image to watch. But the colors stayed about the same.

One of the nice things about the unit is that you can plug lots into it before you max it out. I have ALL of my audio components, plus a 32 inch tv, running through it. This should overtax it, but the wattage-draws are overstated in product manuals. The exception would be the projector- which pulls 260 watts like the manual says. So, I can't use the projector with a single P-500 and any significant component.

I have already been using the Monster HTS-2500 for several years and liked it. The P-500 is a significant improvement. But if you don't have a power conditioner already, the HTS-2500 is a good place to start without spending as much (under $300). Once you become a "believer" you will see the value in spending $2000.

Now, don't get me started on other power products, like power cables... They can REALLY make a difference in system performance. But that's another review.

Ok, since I said I am a dealer, I now feel comfortable sharing my website:

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   (me)

Submitted by uthaman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
First let me say, “I’m a believer!” And “WOW!”
I had very high expectations based on the glowing comments and quotes as well as the explanation of the technology. I can say for sure that my expectations have been exceeded. I’m actually somewhat stunned.
POSITIVES
Video:
The most shocking improvement was the video quality.
My 36” Sony Wega HS500 CRT HDTV looked pretty darn amazing before using this product. Right out of the box with the “professional” picture setting the Sony’s image was extremely accurate and rich. The black level performance was darn good. High definition (over-the-air and satellite) already looked 3-dimensional. I was pretty sure that the P-500 wouldn’t be able to improve my video experience much.
In this case, it was nice to be wrong! After hooking up my system (Sony TV, Receiver/Amp, Subwoofer, DVD player all on the regenerated power circuits) I could not believe my eyes. I’m pretty sure for a few seconds my jaw (and my friend’s as well) was touching the ground. The picture was remarkably better…and I’m not talking about a subtle improvement. I could not believe how much better the black level performance was with the P-500 delivering regenerated power to my Sony. Images on the screen became even more 3-dimensional and the depth of field improved. Textures and surfaces of objects became more noticeable and detailed. As a result of the improved black level, colors became even more rich and vibrant (liquid). Please understand, I was skeptical about the PSAudio and it’s ability to improve my system (especially the TV). Not anymore. Just try and wipe the smile off my face.
Audio:
The audio improvements with the PSAudio P-500 were also clearly noticeable and quite remarkable. A good example is when I popped in a 2-channel SACD and my friend could not seem to convince himself that only the two stereo channels and the sub were playing. He was adamant that the center and surrounds were doing something. We checked…and they were not! The imaging had improved so much that the vocalist’s position (on various recordings) could be pinpointed with great accuracy in the soundstage. And the depth and width of the soundstage exploded beyond the size of my room. It was the first time that a 2-channel recording sounded like a multi-channel. We became enveloped in sound. The details that were being revealed were so dramatically improved. The Aria scene in Superbit DVD of “The Fifth Element” was a real treat. At the very beginning the theater is full of people and the crowd is settling down to enjoy the performance. We heard for the first time this great sense of the depth of the theater (well behind the speakers and the screen) and the subtle sound of the crowd as they were quieting. It took my breath away. We replayed the scene just to experience it again. Diana Krall’s – “Live in Paris” concert DVD in DTS was already a wonderful recording to listen to. But hearing “A Case of You” with the PSAudio P-500 was nearly a religious experience. The audio background is so black and the realism of the performance is so good. When you can hear the spit in the singer’s mouth and the pressing of their lips, it’s quite an experience. On another note, most of the harshness was completely erased. The high-end frequencies sounded much more liquid resulting in a less fatiguing experience at the same volume levels.
In addition, my subwoofer sounds richer and much more controlled with it plugged into the regenerated power. It was already a pretty musical sub (only 8”) but it seems to really sing now with less muddiness on the lower end.
So, without a doubt, everything I plugged into the PSAudio P-500 has benefited with dramatic results.

SUMMARY
PSAudio makes some big claims about the positive effects their product can have on your setup. I doubted those claims while simultaneously expecting big results from my P-500 purchase. Without a doubt, the improvements are radical and obvious. Although I (and for sure my wife) will continue to question if it was worth $2000 bucks, as long as it continues to function correctly I can guarantee that I won’t be sending it back! After trying a Monster Power Conditioner product (with no noticeable improvements/results), I can also say for sure that I am glad I spent the extra money and went for the power regeneration technology instead. PSAudio's P-500 Power Plant has dramatically improved my system and made me a believer!

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Is one hell of a A/C generator no offence to those with negative reply,I think you don't know what is hi-end stuffs or ur deaf.Stereophile will not recommended this power plant COTY for no reason.I've used lots of conditioners but none come close.

Purchased At:   Marketplace

Submitted by jguild2120 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Several days ago I received a PS Audio Power Plant (P600) and a Lab II power cord. My plans for the evening were to perform A-B testing with and without the P600 in place. I needed to be convinced that it would improve the sound quality otherwise I’d ship it back and spend my money on something else. I had no plans to patiently for one or two weeks ‘burn in’ time convincing myself that it was incrementally improving some fuzzy wuzzy audio attribute. It either had to show an immediate improvement or it was gone.
I used a standard power cord from the wall to the P600 and the Lab II power cord from the P600 to my Denon receiver. I connected my Sony SACD player to the P600 using its factory supplied fixed power cord. I also connected my Outlaw base manager to the P600. Previous to getting the P600 and Lab II power cord, I’d been very happy with the sound of my system. My friends had been impressed as well. So, it was a bit difficult to understand how effective the P600 would really be relative to improving the sound; but I’d give the P600 a chance just to see if this ‘AC regeneration thing’ was real or just audiohype.

With the P600 and Lab II connected, I fired up Herbie Handock’s Head Hunters (multi-channel SACD). I was totally floored. The sonic benefits of the P600 were clearly obvious and significant- I was surrounded by stunning detail and depth that I had never experienced before. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. It was like someone switched on a light in a room that I had not realized was dark. Needless to say, my plans to do A-B testing were shelved while I spent the evening caught up in music. I can honestly say that this is the most impressive upgrade that I’ve made since equipping my listening room with multi-channel SACD.

Even my wife, who, bless her heart, is not into high-resolution music, noticed the difference. Her only compliant was the color of the P600 did not match the color of the other components and ‘what’s that big ugly looking cord for?’ Ha!

Denon AVR 4802 Reciever