Monster Cable PowerCenter THS 5000 Power Conditioners

3.76/5 (54 Reviews)

2 unswitched front panel convenience outlets. 10 outlets capable of being programmed as unswitched, switched, or switched with delay. $100,000 connected equipment protection and limited lifetime warranty.

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the HTS 5100 powerconditioner.

Unlike most reviewers below, I experienced no noise/mechanical problems with this Monster Powerconditioner. I guess that should be taken as a step forward for the company, since it certainly addressed reliabilty and functionality issues. Should they approach the sound issues with the same zeal, Monster may someday enter the audiophile world of powerconditioning.

As good looking and well built the Monster HTS 5100 looks, it performs very poorly on amps and preamps. In fact, I would advise any potential users to avoid it at ANY COST for home theater or 2 channel systems. Better to save up more money and spend it on a Hydra 2, or a Hydra 4 from Shunyata for true powerconditioning. Paying slightly more for the real thing sounds fair in my mind.

I sold my HTS 5100 after getting a hospital grade powerconditioner ($100 CAD) that just simply thrashed the Monster in every conceivable class. Previously, my system seemed veiled Although it was detailed it did not breathe with air, but was lost in fog. I assume the problem with Monster may either the powercords (maybe they should try an outlet for the owner's powercord of choice) or in the multi filter layering inside the unit ... engineers got a little carried away, kind of like more is better? Poor design, severely restricts the flow of music.

Never buy this unit. You are just wasting your money and time. That's my advice to you, take it or leave it!

Submitted by Allan Lee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
This unit is a joke! Stay away from it like a plague. About 2 and half years ago I purchased the HTS5000 when it first came out. Well, the unit had a buzz in the light metre. After about a week of usage, I simply cannot stand the buzzing anymore, so I complained to my dealer and fortunately received my second unit. The dealer assured me that Monster has reworked the second unit, and everything should be fine. I took it home, no buzz, and worked perfectly, so I was very happy even though this unit seem to suck the life out of some high current equipments like power amps, high power preamp, and even my Sony super audio cd player (this unit takes in high current). In all fairness, the second HTS 5000 unit seemed to clean out the TV reception very well. Then one day recently, the second unit totally blows up! I can see the fire coming out 2 of my wall outlets, and it even ruined 2 of my Monster subwoofer protectors. I was really ticked off, then I remember the life time warrantee feature... ha ... so I called my dealer again and he sent my unit all the way to Monster head quarter for repair. After about 3 months, my unit returned, it was wrapped in a brown hard paper box (I think to myself: where the heck was my original box?). So I took it home, opened the box, and inside there was the original box. I opened up, and guess what? They gave me a brand new unit! I know this because the metal plate around the meter is now silver color and the light metre is no longer blue but greenish color. Bottom line, if Monster is this generous, the unit cannot possibly worth $600 retail.

The good news is my PS Audio Plant 1000 will be arriving in two days.

Purchased At:   Toronto

Submitted by eastcoasthandle a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
The HTS5000 MKII was displayed on a 50” Sony Grand Wega LCD and the needle displayed a 115 volts using a Direct TV connection @ 720p, using a Sony Theater Sound System (I didn’t catch the model). The associate at Best Buy showed me the difference with and without the HTS 5000.

With the HTS 5000
The picture quality was jaw dropping. In one word the picture was alive! Images were more real looking; the scenery appeared as if it was being film live from location. For example: if you held a blue shirt in your hand, you will see the same blue shirt on TV! It would not be more vivid, sharp, dark or light, nor to warm/natural or cool. The sound from the Sony receiver was incredible. The voices were clear, always at the same volume. The music sounded like you were there. The bass was deep with a slight echo. I am not an audiophile so I don’t know what to call this. The sound that creates the bass had a consistent volume with a soft, extended tone/pitch, not a sharp & short tone/pitch. It was more of a soft “boooom…” not a “BOOM!” Trust me if you hear it like I did your ears will appreciate it.

Without the HTS 5000
The HTS 5000 the picture quality was vivid, average flesh tone with bright colors but images were a tad cloudy or smeary w/o the HTS 5000. The picture was not pixilated at all. The picture quality was still excellent w/o the HTS 5000. People still stop and look at this TV as its picture was eye appealing from other TV’s on display. The sound was good but w/o the echo in the bass. I was completely shocked to see that Satellite TV can be improved with the HTS 5000!

The Home Experience
I have a Sony Grand WEGA KF42WE610 42” using Comcast Cable reception w/o the box (analog reception). I wanted to give a bare bone truth if the HTS5000 is any good or not. After spending 1hr 30minutes properly installing my plugs, making sure my socket had 3 prong (not a 2 prong which will void your warranty as you are simply ignore grounding) and installing some copper wire to grounding the HTS 5000 itself (water pipe, iron/steel fixture tucked behind a wall or heater vent will do nicely) and I was finally able to plug the HTS 5000, turn on the Sony STR-DE885 with the 150 watt preamp sub. I immediately noticed a difference in its ability to finally maintain its volume. It is the same sound quality as mentioned earlier. The picture is less pixilated and flesh tones are more inline (although nothing like Direct TV). Cartoon network has vivid, sharp colors. I can clearly see a noticeable difference in picture quality. #1 noticeable difference pronounced even as I write this review is the TV’s sound quality! It is as good as my STR-885! The sound volume remains the same and the bass is much richer then before. The voices are crisp, clear and audible. I didn’t think the TV speakers were any good (reason for buying the STR-885) until now! Another noticeable trait is viewing Channel 2 via cable. In my area channel 2 is the weakest channel, producing a series of thin horizontal to diagonal lines. The lines are very noticeable and distracting from watching your program only having a 75% view. After installing the HTS 5000 channel 2 is 95% viewable. This is a big improvement as I already have a 4 port, Electroline Drop Amp with single shielded RG-6 cable wire.

SIDE NOTE
Although double shielded RG-6 coax cable would do better most that I have found do not have a solid copper core. As I was told that the signal travels around the circumference not inside. Regardless if you have solid copper core or not It is extremely important to check your cable connections to make sure the exposed copper wire does not have any marks or nicks around the circumference! If any are found there is a 100% chance you are not receiving the best picture possible. It is a MUST to cut the wire just below the connection, then buy $10-$18 “plastic” 2-Blade rotary coaxial cable stripper to properly strip it, place a coax connector then screw it back on your TV (This is intended for coax cable installed by your cable company. Monster coax cable and such are not part of this side note).

The Home Experience Voltage
When I first turn plugged this unit in Voltage was at 125V and did drop to about 115 volts using appliances in the kitchen. I did notice voltage as high as 125 volts until I turn the TV on then it would drop to 120 volts. I also have my computer, DSL and 18” monitor hooked up to the HTS 5000 and it remains 120 volts with the TV on! I did not notice anything better with the computer DSL or monitor.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Bcarmona a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the HTS 5000 Monster surge protector in 2001. The unit worked great until several of my componets were fried because of lightning. Monster sent me claims forms to be reimbused for the damage equipment which I am still in the process of filing. However, Monster sent me a another HTS 5000. They claim the unit is new, but I think it's refurbished. Anyway, I get the new unit and it has a very loud buzzing sound which I couldn't get rid off, so I called Monster, and they claim the unit is bad and they are going to send me a 3rd unit. I don't think the HTS 5000 is worth $600. I could have purchased an APC surge protector for $30 with the same warranty that Monster offers in case of power surges/lightning.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
In follow-up to my review from last December (in which I wrote that my new stereo sounded better through the 5100 model than through a cheap surge protector), I recently purchased a HDTV and Comcast cable TV (I did not have cable TV previously, but just used rabbit ears). After hooking up everything, there was a loud buzz through my speakers. After taking everything apart and putting it back together one piece at a time, I discovered that the buzz occurred whenever I connected either the TV or the cable box directly to my preamp due to interference from the cable line coming out of the wall (removing both these RCA connections eliminated the buzz, but then I couldn't listen to movies or TV through the stereo, and disconnecting the cable from the wall while maintaining the RCA connections made the buzz much less loud, but then I had no cable TV). The bottom line is that when I ran the cable line through the Monster Power unit, the buzz went away while still having the cable connected to the TV and both the TV and cable box connected to the stereo.

Purchased At:   Soundcity