Monster Cable HTS 2500 Power Conditioners

4.21/5 (34 Reviews)

Power Line Conditioner

Submitted by NewBAudiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is only for the audio capabilities of the unit, not the video.

I had yet to get good soundstaging out of my system, and had notions that the clarity of the sound coming out could be better. I first tried upgrading to SACD a year ago. A very nice improvement for classical music, but it did not fix my problems.

After having learned in a class about some recording studios using AC signal reconstructors, and having seen a spectrum of what comes out of the wall (looks more like a square wave than a sine wave), I thought I would audition a power conditioner.

This particular model does a few things that (I assume) are all useful: Filtering of input from the wall, providing a charge reservoir, and filtering between the various components plugged into it. I did plug all my other gear into the various outlets on the unit. I used Dave Matthew's solo album, some Living Stereo SACD releases, some electronic music, and some other favorites for test material.

I was surprised by the large difference it made in my system. Across the spectrum was more detail. The bass is tighter and cleaner, deeper, and more powerful. The system has more slam, and I'm starting to approach an acceptable soundstage (I'm hoping a cable interconnect upgrade will finish fixing this problem). I can also hear more space between instruments. I couldn't believe how many things it helped.

For potential difficiencies, I can think of too. There might be a tiny bit too much bass now, but a quick repositioning of the speakers will fix that. The 2nd is I don't think the mid-range is as sweet as it used to be. I have a theory why this might be: My amp (Arcam A65+) is known for having a sweet sound. A sweetness in sound is because of a nonlinearity in the amp. I'm willing to bet that having a dirty AC signal helped the amp sound "sweeter." So, your mileage will probably vary.

I would now recommend a power conditioner to any listener. If you put any kind of care into your sound system, audition a power conditioner. I think you will be happy that you did.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by beached47 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the HTS2500-II.This unit replaces a HTS2000 which had problems passing certain frequencies from my Scientific Atlanta Explorer2200 digital cable box. All signals are available, now. This problem is not unique to Monster Products, but effects many types of power conditioners/ surge protectors due to the wide band digital signals of todays cable systems.

Purchased At:   Monster Products

Submitted by Richard Widner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Before I bought this unit at times my stereo would sound absolutey great, but at other times it did'nt sound all that good.After reading review here and an article about dirty ac i decided to give this 2500 a try.Well know my gear souds like what expected. to me that means it's doing it's job quite well. I am completly satisfied.

Purchased At:   Etronics.com

Submitted by orlando smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've only had this product for two days
now, but what a diffrence it has made in
in my system. From the moment I hooked it up I notice right away that my subwoofer bass came to life more defined and deep.The second thing I notice was that
the tweeters on my b&w 602s2 sounded more
clear and smooth, the sound stage, image,
and bass all improved.My music is cleaner
and my movies sound better than ever. My only knock on this product is that I think it degrades the picture on my tv though I did get a clearer picture it had less color and sharpness.but overall I still think its a great product because
it improved my sound about 10 to 15 percent and plus protect my equipments,
nice addition for only 120.00 dollars.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Submitted by Lyle Poulin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
After spending a lot of frustrating time listening to my my HT system and knowing that something was missing from the overall sound quality of the components that I had purchased, I decided that I had to either upgrade my reciever or do some research as to what the problem may be. I went to my my local Denon dealer and explained my problem. I told him that it seemed that the treble was somehow lopped off and that the bass was loose. I wasn't getting the clarity and sound stage that I should have considering the setup that I have. He asked me if I knew anything about dirty power.I told him that I had heard of it but really hadn't considered it's impact on audio systems. I told him that I was living in a house that is 90 years old with a wiring upgrade that was done about 40 years ago. (I'm living in an area that has apartment buildings all around it and God knows how many electrical sources of muck that may flow through the power lines.)

After his presentation I was totally convinced that he had hit the nail on the head. I have a good and trusting relationship with this guy and He suggested that I take home the HTS2500 and try it out. If it made the desired results that I was looking for we could talk price and seal the deal. If it wasn't meeting my expectations, I could bring it back and try something else. I accepted his offer and took it home and hooked it up. I plugged everything into it, following the manual and it's directions. I put on the Matrix DVD and then sat back to hear what this thing would do.

Well I was trully impressed with the profound change in the sound stage, the clarity, and the bass. This little baby made my HT system sound like it never did before. I was hearing things that I never heard before. It brought my sound stage right up to where it should be. The treble was clearer than I had ever heard it, cystal clear in fact. My bass was tightened right up to a sharpness that I hadn't expected or experienced. Impressed? You better believe it. It did exactly what I wanted and hoped that it would. My CD's and tapes sound better than ever. I used to listen to five channel sound before because it sounded better, but now two channel stereo is awesome. I can hear eveything that was intended to be heard.

I then hooked up my cable through it and lo and behold, it did absolutley squat. If anything it reduced the quality of the picture on my television. I was very disappointed that happened but the improved sound strongly convinced me that this Monster product is worth it's weight in Canadian dollars. My girlfriend even commented on how much better that the sound was. If you can get this out of a woman you know that you are on to something good.

Well this HTS2500 is now in my component rack with all of it's pretty lights on all of the time. The lights were a distraction at first but now I don't even notice them anymore. I'm happy with the HTS2500. It's done so much to improve the quality of my system and saved me from the possible expence of upgrading my reciever and potential arguements that would surely have ensued with my woman about stepping up up to a better reciever. For some reason women seem to have a problem with guys spending thousands of dollars on these things. Or maybe it's my situation alone? (She doesn't know it yet but I am going to jump up to a better reciever at some point in time. It will probably cost me a couple thousand dollars in dinners and flowers to swing this move by her, but in the end it will happen. I always seem to get my way, in time.)

Overall, this addition to my system has been the best that I could or have been suggested to do. Dirty power is a fact of life and it seriously effects the quality of of home theater and audio systems. If any of you out there are reading this and find yourself in the same situation that I was in, try out power line conditioners. It's worth it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy