Yamaha GX-50 Mini System Mini Systems

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by David Giles. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought this at a very good price about 20 years ago from Makro. It had great looks and the sound was always fantastic but after using it for X number of years it ended up in the attic. The reason was its size and colour, as over the years systems got smaller and it's colour and style became old fashioned. Also cassettes became a thing of the past as did cd multi changers.
I recently dug it out to install it in my bottom of the garden summerhouse and it still sounds great and works perfectly. The remote is a slight problem with its tiny complicated buttons which my now reduced reading sight abilty finds difficult to see and use. Overall I'm just pleased I didn't throw it out which I nearly did during a clear out.

Submitted by Joseph Stedul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Considering the small price of the unit, it gives great sound. People with considerably more expensive mini systems or components can't beleive that it could be so loud and have such deep bass, from small speakers. Listening to it at high volume makes your ears hear buzzing after you turn it off (it's loud). I would recommend this mini system to anyone, it's better than anything else in it's price range. I haven't had any problems with it.

Submitted by Joey a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
This thing worked fine for about two years, then out the blue it gave me a "mechanical error" message and the CD player won't work...won't even eject so I can get my CDs out.

What a piece of crap. If I wanted something that would only last two years, I would have saved myself a couple hundred bucks and bought some cheap junk Aiwa or Sony minisystem.

Also, as previously mentioned, this thing is not easy at all to work. The button layout and especially the remote are horrible.

Submitted by Stinkywizlteats a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had this mini system for almost 5 years and I have not had any problems with it what so ever. I don't understand where some of you say you are having problems witht he cd player skipping and taking 20 min to read a cd. When ever i've listened to mine it has never skipped or took that long t read any of my cd's the only thing I can think of id the read head or the laser is dirty and needs to be cleaned

Purchased At:   Agrene

Submitted by Jennie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
This unit did great for the first couple of years!(I've had it for 3.5 years) However, the CD player has sucked for the past 1.5 years. It takes awhile to read the CD's, sometimes 20 minutes. (good thing I'm a patient person!) Recently, I've given up trying to play CD's at all, and am looking into cleaning or repairing the laser. I would also have to agree that the Volume controls don't have small enough steps at low listening levels. It can be either too loud or too quiet. I guess for the money, I thought it would last much longer. Good for casual listeners and students.

Purchased At:   Soundtrack