Tivoli Audio Model One Mini Systems

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $99.00

Mono table radio, heavy-magnet long-throw 3" driver, cellular phone technology enhances FM reception and clarity, geared-down 5:1 tuning ratio analog tuning knob, built-in AM and FM antennas, 75 ohm external FM antenna jack, headphone jack, auxiliary input, record output, external FM antenna, 9’ power cord.

Submitted by mvm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Tivoli Audio Model One is everything you've heard and read about it, and then some. As a table radio it is unbeatable: there's nothing to touch it. In absolute terms, however, it has a limitation that somewhat lets it down, at least when comparing it to a Hi-Fi tuner: as it is essentially a bottom-vented loudspeaker with built-in tuner, tuned to give an euphonic colouration, it has to be placed well away from corners and walls. Which is annoying, as it tends to sound sweaty, chesty and to resonate badly at medium to low frequencies.
Of course this is when the Model One is assessed alone. But today I learned how to turn this inexpensive device into a high quality stereo (yes!) tuner.
I bought a minijack-to-phono adapter for €1 (about $1,30), took a pair of Nordost Black Knight interconnects from my spares box and connected the Model One to my integrated amplifier. Of course, everyone who read the user guide is aware of this possibility, but, in a brilliant display of lateral thinking :-), I ignored the manufacturers' instructions, which instruct you to connect the radio via its REC OUT output (this doesn't bypass the radio's own drive unit, making a rather awkward 3-channel effect) and connected the adapter to the headphone output. This way I got myself a variable output source. The volume control on the radio must be set to maximum in order to get good use of the preamp's volume control.
So there it is: I got myself a first-rate tuner for just €1! And I was surprised to find out it can output FM stereo. (Actually, it shouldn't be a surprise, as you can buy a dedicated loudspeaker and get stereo sound, turning the Model One in a Model Two, but this is cheaper - and better.) And with a bonus of having a rather sexy tuner, and not a metal full-sized box in my equipment rack. It tunes beautifully and sounds great, with no trace of the boominess it displays when considered on its own. I am utterly pleased with my finding, and I just wanted to share it with everyone. I only wish these reviews were filed under the «tuners» category, where they would be more broadly read. The Model One deserves all the audience it can get. As a standalone table radio it does fine, but with the mentioned flaws; as a stereo tuner, you won't find anything better at the price. You'll have no presets or remote control, but who cares?

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by jffkm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
After researching the web for a good small-sized audio solution for the bedroom, the model one consistently came up number one on the list. I found a good deal on ebay, picked up the model, and proceeded to test the system out over the course of the last month. While the unit sounds fantastic for its size/price, sonically, the low end is accented too much. I initially thought it was a problem with radio stations using too much compression and boosting low end, but even an aux input source sounded boomy (50-150hz range). Overall, the device is great for the size and price. it looks beautiful, is mechanically flawless, but if you are really seeking an accurate option for monitoring sources or radio, use the tuner from the model one (it is simply amazing), and then pick up a different pair of speakers.

Submitted by Evileye797 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Being undecide about either purchasing the Model One or the Model Two, I finally settled on the model one since I didn't want to set up the radio in a more permenant location and really want a more intimate use of the radio being nearer the kitchen.
Set-up was a snap...plug in..turn on..tune in...That's it. I really didn't think that it would sound as good as it does for such a small unit, which is about the size of a loaf of bread. The radio pulls in station very well with no noise, sound in excellent, of tone and richness of sound. I highly recommend this product to anyone wanting a inexpensive, easy-to-use, fantastic sounding table radio.

Purchased At:   A&B sound (above pri

Submitted by tommc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was on the fence about buying this radio for some time but I finally decided to pick one up. I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it. I contemplated buying a used seperate tuner that I could add to my component stereo. Once I bought it and brought it home, I set it up on the deck and started listening. I didn't expect to use it as much as I have been. I have it on all the time. The reception is great. The sound is very good too. I like it's small size because you can put it in so many different spots in the kitchen, bedroom, or bring it along wherever you travel. I'm a big fan of Henry Kloss' products, and I'll add this one to my list of his favorites.

Purchased At:   Tweeter