TEAC Reference 500 Mini Systems

4.04/5 (25 Reviews)

Mini system consisting of receiver, tape deck, CD and MD players

Submitted by Tarquinius a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm considering this system.

Can anyone comment on the TEAC LS-500U speakers designed to go with the system? Also who actually makes these speakers (is it TEAC?) and also are they suitable for wall mounting? (Any other suggestions for wall mounted speakers that go well with the 500 appreciated).

Thanks

Submitted by hop889 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went "basic" when buying his system: no surround, no DVD, just two channel stereo and CD (and tuner). At first I was a little bit disappointed when I set up the system. I had gone for the great looks and promissing reviews, but I missed the definition my previous system (NAD amp., Onkyo CD-player) gave. When buying the system I had already contemplated buying the VRDS9 high-end CD-player, but decided against it because of it's high end price and the fact that most of my CD's are copies. After about a year of playing the system (connected to my Quadral Certo speakers) and oftentimes being disappointed by the somewhat feeble sound I had to take the CD-player in for repair of the tray's motor and connected my ancient 1985 Philips portable CD-player and found that the sound was double as good as with the reference 500 CD-player! That was it! I had to get the VRDS9, but of course at a reasonable price. I found a demo unit at appr. EUR 900 and got a very good trade for my "old" unit so I went and bought it right away.
And WAUW!! now my system is much better than I bargained for when I bought it! If the system will last as long as the sturdiness suggests I will never have to get another system.

Submitted by LEEJINX a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Teac AV-500H dolby surround amp & DV500 dvd/cd player for a steal! (£400 instead of usual £750)

Looks the nuts, sounds great. Very impressed.

Purchased At:   Empire Direct (Leeds

Submitted by dandares a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
teac dv h 500 no trouble with picture or opperation but wont play cdrs.But however ive got 1 cdr and will play it ( strange )
Basicly not impressed with it becuase of not playing cdrs.Seems to be old hat.

Submitted by Jen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid, this was a steal for Teac 500 AV Amp. Improved clearity over my yamaha with smoother bass. Very competent amp for most people who enjoy good music and watching movies on the odd occasion. Minor quible, is the remote control that has to be pointed directly at the amp to work. Also, wish amp had built in dolby digital...but hey, for $185, I'll just spend the money I saved on an awesome DVD player

Purchased At:   Ebay