Philips FW-R8 Mini Systems

200 watt, 2x100W, Integrated CD-Recorder Mini, double speed recording, CD Text input, 3-way bass reflex speakers with wooden finish, digital input and output, microphone input with voice mixing, 42-key remote.

Submitted by melvic71 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just want to comment two things that I looked at other users reviews, my system is more than ten years old and still works fine, and this model does have a subwoofer output, actually I was using a model that matches the system, and it sounds loud and clear, perfect for an small apartment.

Trying to use the CD-Text option when you are burning cd's it's kinda complicated without the remote control, but it's the only thing that I didn't like a lot, but I have the remote control.

I guess still will be playing and burning cd's for a while :)

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace an Aiwa that died (don't get me started on this)and then this thing died too. In fact, I had two of these systems and both of them crapped out on me. The first was a total dud the only time it worked was the first month and after 3 reapairs I finally got a whole new unit to replace teh bad one and...well guess what after 2 months with that one it dies too.

Submitted by Nick Nishino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall this shelf system has powerful clear sound and great bass. The recording quality was excellent my copies sounded just like the originals. I read that Philips CD Burners copied CD'S will play in 99% of the worlds CD players? I played my burned cd in an off brand $29 dollar cd player and it played perfectly. You can only use CD-R R/W blank cd's with the DIGITAL AUDIO Markings, regular computer writer cd's will not work with this type of recorder. You also have to practice setting up your recording options but once you've mastered it you'll have great compilations of your music choices. The instruction manual is well written and a video is included to get you started burning CD'S. I would recommend this unit for all types of music from classic,jazz,rock,rap,pop,dance,and even heavy bass music. Apartment/Dorm dwellers/Den/Bedroom the modern style and color of this unit should fit well in almost any decor. If you can get this Philips unit at a better price, buy it you won't be disappointed.

Submitted by Rich Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great sound and a powerful little unit! Lots of lights and options (to many foo-foo lights for me though). Great remote and dsplay though. Speakers look great with the wood finish and have a surprisingly large amount of bass. Perfect for a small room.
Over all a very sweet unit. This is a second system for me. My primary is Onkyo Integra and Klipsch, and I consider the Philips ideal as a secondary system!