Panasonic SC AK57 Mini Systems

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Super Woofers, 5disc

Submitted by jkcerruti a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great system of its time... It lacks on bass and it isnt digital. But My parents have a Bose Lifestyle 12 system and personally i think that my Panasonic sounds better with a movie!

If you are having Trouble with bass try:

Adjusting the center speaker with the remote by pushing (Shift, Test, and pressing the up and down. with mine this sent more sound to the right and left speakers where the subs are. i got more bass that way.

Obviously make sure that the sub level is on Max.

Adjust your equalizer... i got the most bass by using the 3D AI function and adjusting it towards heavy.

PS: You can adjust the surround volume by adjusting your seating position!

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well I got this one on christmas of 1999 and I hasnt failed me yet. I've just now taped into bass abilities wiht the 6ch inputs. As I talked about earlier I have wanted to use this mode since I got the stereo but I did have a dvd player. So I was at a loss. Then I thought about using y adapters to send the same signal to each speaker for now this is what I'm doing until I can use the inputs correctly. I dont use the cd player on it I just listen to music on it with an Xbox with a lot of music on it. The coolest thing I discoverd it that on the remote is a channel select button to change the output of each speaker in 6ch discrete mode even the subwoofer channel that you can raise 10 db above the other speaker that make for alot more bass. I am current going to get new main speakers DCM's DA10's I think so I have better bass response from the main speakers and move the mains that came with the stereo to surrond speakers so I will have more bass from the surrond sound.(I'm a bass freak.) There is one more thing I came across and that is the sub out works with out turning it on as it says in the manual and has more bass output with it off. By turning this option on the superwoofers are really turned way down.In the end you will need a subwoofer for better bass response but it is still a very good system.

Purchased At:   I dont know it was a christmas gift

Submitted by Terry Bowden a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Before purchasing this product, I owned a 240 watt Aiwa mini system. After upgarding, I was satisfied with it, to say the least(added: high power speakers; a 120 watt powered subwoofer). However, this system, while being very powerful, lacked Pro-logic, let alone Dolby Digital capabilities. Consequently, when I bought a DVD player, with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, I knew that my Aiwa was no longer adequate. My first thought, "I'll just get an Aiwa that would best suit my situation." I had not even considered any other brand. So when a sales representative, at Fry's Electronics, informed me that the Panasonic SC-AK57 was the best selling system in its class, I scoffed at the idea. "I would never buy a Panasonic over an Aiwa." Well, after some research, I became increasingly more impressed by the 'Sonic. Eventually, I ordered one over the internet. Upon receiving the unit, I compared it with my Aiwa. The Aiwa undeniably had more raw power, but the 'Sonic demonstrated more sophistication in the area of sound reproduction and overall presentation. Unfortunately, I did not have the space to house both systems, so I gave the Aiwa away. I bought a mini system holder, complete with a glass door(ala traditional rack systems)and speaker stands. This adds to the efficiancy, yet elegance of the system. Now some two years later, I am still impressed by the 'Sonic whenever I view dvd movies. Friends and family members are likewise enamored with the home theater qualities of the 'Sonic. In fact, I receive many accolades from people during and after the viewing of movies on dvd.
This system does have a MAJOR PROBLEM. Of late, the recording component has been malfuntioning. I record a morning talk show, daily. When I return home, I listen to the tape and set the system to record the next morning's show, reusing the same tape. Within the last two months, I have noticed that the recording process is not complete. During playback, I can hear that day's show as well as the previous day's. It is as though the show is lay on top of the previous show, without replacing the previous show. So, I hear both shows concurrently, with the newer show being at a lower volume. And, as I mentioned in the weakness category, both decks ocassionally "eat" the tapes during playback. If it weren't for this occurance, I would highly recommend this system. As it stands, I suggest that if you are going to use the system for frequent dubbing, look elsewhere. However, if home theater on a budget is priority, then you can't go wrong with the'Sonic.

Purchased At:   on-line

Submitted by #1 Stunna a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well lets face it, I am a teen and I like it loud, I want something with bass that shakes the house off its foundation. So I saw this with its surround sound and quote "Super Woofers" and thought it might be good. HAHA. I mean ok, its a nice system and it DOES get loud, but it has absolutly no bass. Those super woofers are like the tweeters. My much smaller magnavox system that only puts out 50 watts had way more bass than this system. It says it will hit down to 45 hertz at -16 dB, but I think not even close. Maybe it hits down to 100 which is pathetic. Also when you turn this system to full blast it clips off.
So if your a wuss and want a pay a bunch of money for a system with no bass then I guess this is for you. But I would recomend the JVC IJ900, play this till the windows crack like that with a phat bass track. Or even better the JBL sounder 3 way 400 watt system which comes out pretty soon. Email me if you want any info on home stereo products or Car stereo products. I know whats best, and hwere to get it the cheapest.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Terry Bowden a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Living in a studio apartment allows me to use mini systems to address all my aural pleasures. Previously, I owned a 120 watt/channel aiwa which shook my apartment ( with the sub woofer attached) with volume at only 33%. I can almost reach that level with the Panasonic, even without a sub woofer. However, I usually have to crank it up to about 85% to do it. I still prefer the 'Sonic because the sound distortion is relatively low. Which means, movie watching is undisturbed, because "hissing" or static from the speakers is minimal. If I were to buy another mini system, it would be the Panasonic SC-AK78 which offers a total of 400 watts. Panasonic has converted a former Aiwa loyalist. Buy the 'Sonic and you will be impressed!

Purchased At:   Video Tech