Marantz MR2020 Mini Systems

integrated amplifier with CD, FM, AM tuner and speaker system

Submitted by nakman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Product is simply georgeous. sleek remote, and great quality sound(For a bedroom application)I find I use the remote the most, and therfore have had no problems with the joysticks.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Axiom a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought Layla as my bedroom system last year and got an incredibly good deal paying only $400 for the system and the dedicated Marantz subwoofer.
For a little do-it-all system that is supposed to look good first and only then play well the sound is far out of its class (admittedly, it did used to sell at $1000). The sound is fresh, crisp and when the sleek speakers are set appropriately, the sound stage is more than decent. The subwoofer adds a lot of warmth and "musical presence" that is otherwise lacking, but set too high goes to mush pretty quickly. It is by no means for the bass-crazy.
As an affordable adjunct to my Marantz PM 66 KI, CD 63 KI and BW 602, Layla is more than just a beauty. She's a beauty that sings!

Purchased At:   Big Bang Bofex

Submitted by Dustin Meyers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I thought the MR-2020 is a great piece of equipment for a small office style microsystem. Nothing looks better on the market today, and the sound quality is excellent for the price paid. When the salesman at the audio store said it was only $500 and the sub came with it I about fell over, I do understand that this used to retail at $1000. I don't know why they were slashed to $500 but I sure am glad, almost got that Sony executive system for 300, but I am glad that I waited and found this jewel. The looks are just astonishing along with the sound quality. Sure it can be out performed by other more pricey items, but for the price I love this item.

Purchased At:   Glenn Poor's Audio

Submitted by orr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
the system is amazing to look at and gr8 to listen to i would recomend conecting subwoofer to the system to close the bass hole

Purchased At:   aucton

Submitted by johnny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all I do not recommend this product. The system does look indeed very diffrent from others. However I found the four vertical joysticks to be very flimsy and not very user friendly. The responces of the buttons are bad. Sometimes it has to be press twice firmly in order to execute the required command. The display for the volume especialy is very unatractive. It has numbers to show the volume which sometimes can be quite confusing. I do however like the power open doors. Very nicely done indeed. However I feel it is pointless to have buttons for the CD player inside the unit as you can only operate it with the lid close. As this unit is for more of design, I feel that Marantz has gone somewhat astray here. It does indeed look like a very nice unit however with great inspection you will find that what you paid for you should perhaps thing again. Considering for the price you will pay for this unit you wouldn't expect cheapish made button like those that come from a toy car for example.

As for sound quality here again the MR2020 or also know as the Layla in the UK is of average standard to the normal minis. Don't forget most of the money you will pay will go in to the design of the unit. The sound is too bassy and uncontrol. As for the Treble the sound is still very much unmature and unrefine.

To my conclusion if you like to have a unit that is very diffrent from other and to be us as an ornament to impress others then I highly recommend this unit. However if it is audio people you are trying to impress I would strongly recommend you to consider it again.

Award-Winning Axiom: