Kenwood NV-500 Mini Systems

3.91/5 (11 Reviews)

• Stereo Power: 100 Watts per Channel (Left/Right, 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.9%THD, 6 ohms, FTC)
Amplifier Features
  • Random Play
  • Repeat Play
Tuner Features
  • Quartz PLL Synthesized Digital Tuning
  • Station Presets: 40 (FM/AM)
Speaker Features
  • Tweeter: 1" Inverted Dome
  • Woofer: 6-1/4" Polypropylene Cone
Dimensions and Weight

Submitted by turtleforever65 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased this system off ebay for a fairly good price. I have been using it for over 3 months now, and I can say that I am very satisfied with the sound and the look of this system. They certainly don't make mini-systems like this one anymore.

I don't understand why some previous posters posted that the sound from this system is only so so. These are rear ported speakers. You have to keep these speakers a certain distance from the back wall in order to obtain clear sound. If you place these speakers closer to the rear wall, you do get better bass, however, that is at the expense of sound quality.

Anyway, I keep my system on atop a bookshelp, about half a feet away from the rear wall, and the sound is amazing. They go quite low if you turn on the bass boost feature.

Submitted by Travis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is strictly mid-quality mid-fi, a step up from the 10% THD, 10,000 flashing lights, Aiwa, Sony, Panasonic, etc. total garbage minisystems out there, but really no great shakes sound-wise. To get anything approaching good quality sound, you'll need to replace the speakers and/or add a subwoofer. But for the price you're talking to do this, you're far better off buying better quality right off the bat (wish I did).
On the positive side, this thing looks really great and features a remote that will seemingly control the entire world. The Dolby virtual surround is also a plus, but only for TV and movie soundtracks.
I'd cautiously recommend this to someone looking for an all-in-one home theater/stereo system that looks good and is convenient. However, if you're more concerned with sound quality than cosmetics and features, look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   800.com

Submitted by Wei Wang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this system about a year ago. Now with a year's worth of experience, I have some more to add.

This model is discontinued, so I guess it doesn't matter much anymore.

Anyway, aside from the futuristic looks, the sound quality is at best average, narrow sound stage, the sound just doesn't open up very well, unless you crank up the volume really high, in which case my neighbors would be calling the police. The dolby virtual surround is okay with average recordings, but fails miserably with some vocal cds. I guess the virtual surround algorithm is just incompatible with really high frequencies and very low bass frequencies. I can hear crackling distortions very clearly on some Celine Dion and Enya CDs. And when I play a CD with over emphasis in both the trebble and bass regions, with the virtual surround on, the result is just miserable, I almost felt the speakers shaking from the amount of distortion produced.

I don't know if it is the speakers or the system itself. Most of the time I leave the surround option off.

And the LCD remote is really cluncky, and the batteries don't last very long.

And has anyone actually tried to use the system without the remote? Impossible to use, because for the CD player, there are no forward and reverse buttons on the set itself. So if the remote breaks down, I guess we are stuck.

I tested out some yamaha mini systems, they give a tighter, cleaner sound, and ymersion is much more realistic compared to dolby virtual surround.

I am switching to a different system one of these days.

Purchased At:   crutchfield.com

Submitted by fleebix a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
to have a good sound coming out of this litle baby u need a sub... i buy the kenwood sw-303 and i'm happy whit it...

but beside sound it's one of the most beautiful thing I ever see!

Submitted by Jazz a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this system for my bedroom, i live in a big apartment with 3 others. I also bought a little bass cube 8 at cambridge sound works($125) clearance and the guy also hooked me up with some free cable! I have had the system for a couple of months now and love it. I have it hooked up with my DVD and VCR which both work okay with it too. The sub helps out a lot, it lets you hear a little more music and puts out a tighter sound. It isn't a component system but it is great for small/maybe even medium size rooms.I definitely recommend this system to anyone on a really tight budget or just need an extra system for your bedroom like me.

BLG CP024: