Harman Kardon FESTIVAL 60 MARK II Mini Systems

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by donestra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was working at Harman Kardon when this model was first made, the Festival 60. It is an awsome stereo. The reason it was $0 was because the company had a contest and I won. This stereo was one of the prizes. I have no regrets about its performance. Only the minor cd gliche but is aiight. :)

Purchased At:   Harman Kardon

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Before I saw this unit at cosco, of all places, I had read a few reviews in the year or two prior to my purchase. I paid $399.99 + 14% tax. I believe i paid so little for it because of the cd changer 'quirks'. A harman/kardon customer service rep told me this was a risk and that there was no 'fix' available for it so I should return it and see if I get one that doesnt do it.

I have a few cd's it says are unreadable, that sorta bothers me..BUT; For the price I paid, and the quality of sound...I got a hell of a deal. I hooked up a Magnat Alpha 25 Sub via the stereo Sub lines out, and it sounded full and crisp. It has a very large soundstage for the size. It can fill a large living room with fine sound.

I run a nakamichi mb-8 through the input(s) via a set of Straightwire interconnects, I switched the speakers that came with it, to a pair of B&W DM303's and I gotta say, I am not unhappy. The only things that bother me are poorly recorded cd's and the like. The system is not the best I have ever owned etc...But the price, and the quality of performance....just...I still get wood when I think about getting a STEAL like I did.

The units physical appeal is a definate bonus, get a decent sub at the least, use above average cables and you cannot help but grin when you listen to the sound that comes out of it, even with the stock speakers included. I have never even used the tone controls because the sound it produces, at flat, seem true and even and properly balanced....without the 'quirk' with the cd player, It would be very appealing for its regular $1000.00 price tag, but for 400?? I'm finally laughing at getting a real bargain, finally, a screw up that benefits ME.

ps: The sound from the cd player does seem...a bit dense when compared to the sound from the nakamichi source, BUT you probably would never know unless you tried. I hooked up a denon cd player..i dont remember the model # but it was only worth 500.00....and i got rid of it cuz the h/k sounded better....oh! and when i say dense, i mean....not as rich and as intricate as the nakamichi, the h/k does it, but in a more subtle way...if you want something that you can be happy about, buy it if you can. It's great sound quality for the price period. I just wanted to make sure i made my point that its not a replacement for Krell or Bryston amps and mark levinson transports and d/a's...but, it's hard to believe anybody would be unhappy.

Purchased At:   ??cosco??