Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Table Radio Mini Systems

Model 88CD is a wonderful compact audio system for use as a second stereo in a bedroom, kitchen, office or den. Its auxiliary input can be used to connect a cassette deck, MiniDisc player, MP3 player or a stereo TV.The Model 88CD is the ultimate alarm clock. It includes a dual alarm system that will wake up two different people at two different times, using music, an alarm sound or both.Available finished in ivory or slate, Model 88CD fits gracefully into virtually any room d?cor. Its credit card-sized remote lets you control Model 88CD from anywhere in the room. This is truly the finest product ever in this category.

Submitted by durand a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This posting is for the Model 88CD

For the record, I presently have in my home 3 Model 88CD and two of the newly redesign 730 radios, again from Cambridge Soundworks.

Not that the Model 88 is still available directly from the Cambridge Soundworks, thought I used to also own both a Boee Wave radio CD along with the Model 88;. Once I ordered my first Model 88CD; I instantly sold both Model 88 and the Bose wave Radio CD. Then began the love affair with these radios

The Wave Radio sounds OK, look better but is by far not as good sounding as any other table top radios from Cambridge Soundworks. The Wave is way too over priced yet sounds extremely process/EQ.

Must you ever have the choice between purchasing the newer Cambridge Soundworks 740 (same as the 730 but with a built-in CD player) or the Model 88CD; I would highly recommend the Model 88CD. The newer 730/740 is capable of playing a lot louder, as the sub is been redesign/improved, I would prefer a less powerful radio for something that sounds more neutral. The 730/740 can sound boomy because the sub is pointing downward.

Clearly, an audiophile would choose the Model 88CD over the 730/740 any day. This must be why Cambridge Soundworks after trying to pull the Model 88Cd off the market, brought it back after all.

The Model 88CD will always remain a classic.

Chapeau to Henry Kloss

Bernard Durand
Ottawa Ontario Canada

Purchased At:   Hifi.com

Submitted by garym1369 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Model 88 in liew of the more expensive Bose wave radio in 2000.

I could not be more happy with this radio.
I have recommended this unit to friends who have also purchased it and love it as well.
I connected it to my electronic keyboard at home as an amp. It really sounds great.

I did recently purchase a Bose 5.1 stereo system to watch movies only becase at the time Cambridge did not have a system comparable to it at the time. However, now they do and for alot less money. I wish I waited just a little longer. I would have gotten the cambridge system and saved a whole lot of cash.

Bose is a great system but alot of that extra cash your paying is to cover all that advertisments.

Save your money and go with Cambridge.

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by Bruce Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had to send it back once, don't know if what they sent me was a new unit or the same old one. Problem was buzzing in one speaker. Seems to have been fixed. I suppose for the price, this thing is OK, but if you're expecting really good sound, then go expect it somewhere else. OK for a table radio in a small room, but never would I use it for anything approaching real listening. Nice that it has two aux ins, though. Just good enough so that I can listen to it for fairly long periods.

Purchased At:   CSW

Submitted by John Best a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
The bass is truly amazing and the highs are nearly as good (especially considering the radio's small stature). For Christmas I bought my wife a Bose "Acoustic Wave" system (not to be confused with the Bose Wave Radio that the Model 88 is typically compared to. I am embarrased to admit that I could have saved myself close to $1000.00 had done my homework in advance. Well done.

Purchased At:   on line

Submitted by Michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I tried the Cambridge radio for use with FM since I don't use it through my main system since it is inherently a low quality program source. It seemed to be a much better value than the Bose which is clearly overpriced. Unfortunately. it was not the equal in sound quality to the Bose due to poor subwoofer integration with the other drivers. Even with the level control turned virtually all the way down.
I finally did get the Bose despite the overpricing issue.
I think it's important for all of us to understand that these are RADIOS and not full component systems. They are designed to give reasonable sound from very small packages without component hassles.
My home system is where I demand the best.For less than critical applications both units have their place.

60.0 WA BLACK: