Boston Acoustics MicroMedia Mini Systems

3-piece powered speaker system

Submitted by Terence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the MicroMedia for my PC 3 days ago. I listen to a lot of mp3 these days. My Compaq Presario came with a pair of JBL Pro speakers. While they are adequate for normal applications, the music lack the "omph" factor.

Each time I passed by a computer shop, a 3-pc system would be on demo. However, they were mainly used for games. A 3-pc powered subwoofer system will definitely beat the normal 2-pc multimedia speakers! So when this particular shop played music on their Boston Acoustics, it really caught my attention. The music came through beautifully. I auditioned both the BA635 and the MicroMedia and decided on the latter.

I've been listening my mp3 for no less than 6 hours a day. No listening fatigue. The music is "full bodied" and the timing is spot on. Bass is taut and each bass note is distinct. No such thing as a "one-note" bass. It is also tonally accurate.

The subwoofer is placed on the lower shelf of my computer desk which is about 3 in from the floor and 1 ft from the rear wall. The satellites are placed on the sides of my 17 in monitor. Subwoofer level is set at 11.30 o'clock.

Grouses: 1. No power switch on the subwoofer. 2. The cables are connected from the front of the subwoofer. Strange.

I have not auditioned the Bose Acoutimass Multimedia speakers, but I have a pair of AM 5 II hooked up to my regular hi-fi. The AM 5 II is great for background music.

Submitted by Jonathan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I personally disagree with Steven's opinion of this system. I think it delivers too much bass, right to the point of constant audible distortion. I got this system as a birthday present and presently using it with my PC. It works fine with my usual Director presentations, but the bass goes all crazy when I listen to my CDs.
All in all, it is quite a good set, apart from the bass problem, which I eliminated by putting the subwoofer some 4 metres from my PC. However, if you really want a good subwoofer/satellite system for your PC, I would recommend the Bose Acoustimass Multimedia System, which my colleague uses for her games.

Submitted by Steven a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
While passing through the row's of computers in my school's computer department something really caught my ear and my attention.It was the BostonAcoustic Micromedia speaker system whch was playing some R&B mp3's out one computer system they were showcasing. I had to investigate because these speakers were so small yet so powerful. They gave out a tremendous bass which first caught my attention, but it wasn't "boomy" it was smooth and clear. The top notes created a soothing atmosphere, the mid notes gave strength and depth to the music. The range of the frequencies all across the board were balanced and very tight. I want to know if my review is just b.s. which it probably is so please add a comment if you have listened to BostonAcoustic's MicroMedia speakers. I'm just a casual listener but I know what I like and when my ears are pleased.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener