Bose Acoustic Wave II Shelf System Mini Systems

The Acoustic Wave® music system II plays your home-burned CDs as well as regular discs and AM/FM radio. You'll find a headphone jack for private listening, auxiliary inputs and an informational display. A variety of accessories adds to your listening enjoyment at home or on the go.

Submitted by atan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Actually when I first viewed and listened to AWMS II at a Bose store, I did not look at it for the second time and went for another system for hooking up to TV. I felt that lookwise it was dry and drab and had not enough Bass that I was pining for. Later I felt that I needed a small portable dedicated system for music. I had been using a Panasonic system for last 4-5 years and it was not bad at all, especially in the high frequency range.

I heard Bose Wave Radio at my brother's place and was impressed with the portability and sound also was not bad. But I felt that it lacked the punch of a larger Panasonic Systen that I was using. Being an audiophile, I did not mind experimenting a little more and went to check the AWMS II. I brought it home and hooked it up with I-Pod. I was disappointed with the depth of Bass (in comparison with both the Panasonic and the Home Theatre). I was also disappointed with the cacophony it seemed to raise when the volume was cranked to 85 with most music that I am accustomed to listen.

But then I began to experiment and placed it a bit away from the centre in another room (which was a bit longish), and played Beethoven "Fate" at a volume of 85. Slowly it hit me. AWMS is probably for dedicated listening and it is about being immersed and washed with sound waves. Beethoven's divine design now appeared to be playing with me; waves receding and approaching with ever changing colours and from ever changing directions.

I love the AWMS with music that has a lot instrumental/vocal variations played at loud volume -- when I am alone, with no one to disturb. I am somewhat addicted now. I am addicted to the clarity and the variety of sounds it brings up like a very vibrant colourful painting.

For a casual listener and for one who is accustumed to hear a certain kind of artificial heaviness, the system may not appeal. Some design changes, as suggested by many others, may also be welcome.

Atlantic Technology: