Aiwa XR MS3 Micro System Mini Systems

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

- Full functional wireless remote control.
- 3 pre-set electronic graphic equalizer.
- FM/MW/LW digital tuner.
- 32 stations random memory pre-sets.
- 2-way bass reflex speaker system.
- Double woofer, detachable grilles.

Submitted by joanna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
i have had this system since 1995 and i can happily say im happy with the product no problems at all and i have had it since 1995 this was definately one of my best buys.

Submitted by alexandromorales a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
necesito cambiar la unidad de cd del minicomponente marca aiwa XR-MS3 esta dañanda. Podran conseguirla.

Saludos

Submitted by Judith Davidsen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have barely used the Aiwa XR-MS3 . but after I had it for about 13 months, the CD player started skipping tracks, but I thought it was just a lemon disk.

At age 18 months, I got nothing but "CD error" in the display, and it is going to cost me $162 to get a new laser installed. Looks like it's the XR-MS3 that's the lemon, and, of course, the warranty is quite expired.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I saw this little system almost more than half a year ago in the store display shelf, I knew I had to have one. But the asking price of $350 forced me to walk away from it. Now that the price has dropped quite a bit, I got my hands on a bargain. I've had the JVC for more than a year and this unit is a replacement for the JVC. If the JVC is a little system that grows on you each day you use it, then this little Aiwa grabs you by the nose and makes you immediately fall in love with it. The multicolored display is mesmerizing and the selectable color around the jog dial and the CD slot can suit your colorful taste for a particular day. The speakers have an attractive shiny black piano finish. The vertical loading CD helps to make this system ultra small. It shines on my cramped desktop space.
This little has all of the functions you would need, everything from timer to surround. Although enticing, I would caution against using the Q-surround. It does indeed add depth to the sound stage. However, at higher volumes, you will hear the distortion and the echo. Use the BBE wisely because if you over-compensate for high frequencies, your will encounter fatigue of your ears and risk distortions. The same goes the T-bass. The sound produced by these speakers are pretty good for their size.
Now, on to the bad news. Compare to the JVC, the speakers on this one is more flimsy. Midranges do not fare as well on the Aiwa as the JVC, in fact I have noticed a dip at certain frequencies. Although this is a two way speaker, I think the JVC's full range is smoother and it is of no comparison to the TEAC. For a system this small, power is a precious resource. While the JVC has a sub sonic filter to block out the low frequencies that its speakers cannot handle, the Aiwa happily thumped the little woofers with the 20 Hz sine wave I gave it. I hooked it up to my subwoofer to add better low end response and avoid strain, only to discover that the subwoofer output has a low AC hum around 50-60 Hz, which means it came from the lack of a static shield or a poorly designed power supply, or it could mean the output impedance of the sysmte and the input impedance of my subwoofer has a big difference(which I highly doubt since both are stand line level impedance). To get around this hum problem and the lack of subsonic filter for the little speakers, I hooked up the speaker output into the speaker level input of my subwoofer and the Aiwa speaker to the high pass filtered output on my subwoofer(6 db / octave @ 125 Hz). This way, damaging low frequencies do not go to the speakers and the subwoofer does not put out the annoying hum when idling. I must say, this is a very disconcerting aspect of the system since using the line level output gives me alot more flexibility.
Now with all that said, I still think this is a great system. It does take some tweaking and experimenting to be able to integrate it well with a subwoofer. But it is worth every penny you spend on it. Now the only thing remains for me to find out is its durability. Only time will tell how well it stands up to long term use.

Submitted by Dick Bennett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Aiwa XR-MS3(black) is a great addition to my computer desk. It is so compact that it fits into one of my small shelves in my computer stand and looks great. This system is nice for a second unit in an home /office set-up. With the vertical front loading feature to play your cd's there is no addtioal space to be concerned about. The graphic's read out is easy to read and kind of fun to use. You can change the color of the display to 3 different colors to fit you taste.
If your looking for a unit to compliment your home/office set-up and are tight on space take a serious look at this one.I wasn't looking for a replacement to my JVC Micro Unit but when I saw the AIWA XR MS3 I had to have it.
Surprisingly, Target now sells them. They are asking 299.00.
It's worth it