Aiwa NSX-V9000 Mini Systems

1.88/5 (34 Reviews)

mini system

Submitted by john a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I see people are having trouble with the cd player. This might help.

Last weekend I found my nsx-v9000 unit and all the speakers in the neighbor's trash can. I decided to take it out and give it a try. The am/fm tuner works fine. One of the cassette doors won't close and I don't care. The cd player was the problem. It wouldn't play. But it would accept discs, change them, and spin them. If yours will do at least this much, it's a good sign. Here's what I did to fix my cd unit. It might be all that's wrong with yours if you have the same symptoms.

1. Open the cd tray so that it's in the out position that would allow you to place discs in the tray.

2. UNPLUG THE POWER CORD. REPEAT. UNPLUG THE POWER CORD.

3. Take the cover off of the unit. All it takes is a phillips screwdriver. There are two small screws in each side of the unit and about five or 6 small screws on the back. This is all it takes to slide the metal cover off of the unit.

4. Take off the clear plastic light diffuser. On the top of the cd player there is a clear plastic light diffuser. All it does is reflect light from the little lights inside the unit to make it look pretty. There are two screws that hold it in place.

5. Clean the lens on the cd player. Under the light diffuser you just removed you should see what looks like it might be a small lens. It is looking in the "up" direction. It is about the same diameter as a typical button that might be on your shirt. This is the lens for the light beam that gets shined onto the disc to reflect the information on the disc back into the internal electronics. I simply used my pinky finger to GENTLY wipe the dust off of the lens. But some people will tell you to use lens paper or a q-tip and some alcohol. My pinky finger worked just fine.

6. Put the light diffuser and the cover back on and give it a try. Hopefully it will work for you.

What happens is that dust collects on the lens because it's looking up and is horizontal. When enough dust gets on the lens, it interferes with the cd player's ability to "see" the information coming off of the disc. Good Luck. DON'T FORGET STEP 2.

Purchased At:   trash can

Submitted by a/vnut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviews, my cd player quit working after a year or two. Other than that, I love the unit. Plenty of power and clarity for a small system. I use the unit now strictly for my computer

Purchased At:   can't remember

Submitted by Tonicarlo R Velasco a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this product thinking it was good. But it´s a bosta. The CD player is a piece of s***

Purchased At:   1996

Submitted by John Wilkinson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this AIWA NSX-V9000 for my parents three years ago. They don't often listen to CD's so it took a good 2 and a half years for the CD player to die. Based on the other reviews, it appears we were lucky to have it that long.

Also, I'm proud to report that the tape player still works. This is likely because we've never used it.

I believe this makes our family the AIWA Champions since our CD player lasted the longest - and since we still have 2 out of 3 working components.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Leslie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I too have an Aiwa NSX-V9000, and I was basically shocked when I read the reviews about it. I have had the system for awhile because I have been too lazy to buy another one. But soon after I got it the CD player stopped recoginizing and playing my cd's. Then like a month later the darn thing ate a tape as well and now neither tape deck will work and it makes a funny clicking sound when I turn it on. The only reason I still have it is because the radio still works!!

Purchased At:   Circuit City