Aiwa NSX-A707 Mini Systems

Compact Disk Stereo System

Submitted by Ryan Rayda a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Sound:

Bass is extremely boomy, please never use the T-bass setting which stands for Terrible-Bass. All it manages to do is make the little plastic-cased, unbraced speakers go thud.
And what in god's name is the BBE processing all about? Turning this on reminds me of blatantly false sounding vocals such as the pre-processed super-harmonized-for-your- protection type of vocals that are present in so much of the pop drivel gracing the record store shelves today. Wanna know how you make your voice sound like that? Go into the studio and ask them to harmonize your vocal tracks. Ask the engineer to make 'em really fake, ask him to make you sound like Brittney Spears. He can, I promise. But wait, you have your very own vocal harmonizer now, your Aiwa stereo system. Now you can plug a mic into the A-707, crank up the BBE and get similar results in the comfort of your very own home. If you really had a mind to, you could even make Springstten sound like a little teenie-bopper pop star with the BBE option. Never heard a more convincingly fake presentation in your life--got my money-back gaurantee. But if that's what does it for ya . .
Also, the DSP modes (this stands for dysfunctional sound production, I think) and so-called surround modes are likely the most horrendous musical experiences I have experienced to date. I think I have heard clearer, more coherently soundstaged material come out of the circa 1940 horns at the baseball field in town.

Looks:

The display makes me want to fall into throes of an epileptic seizure despite my complete lack of epilepsy--yet another offering to the god of flashy lights and the short attention span. Thank the god of moderation that it can be turned of with a seemingly magical and cryptic combination of power-on and multiple button pressing. Again, praise to the all-pervasive gods of excess.

The Low-Down:

Looking back at the above rantings and ravings, one would think that I hated this little $250 box of bells and whistles. Actually it is about the best mini-system I have ever heard. If you take the cheap plastic grilles off ( makes the treble audible) off the speakers and set them up with some semblence of a care for room placement, you will have a commendable sounding little stereo. Not anything that'll make you sell your separates, but enough to give you a fleeting glimpse into the realm of audio Nirvana.

But remember:
-- NEVER use the processing, any of it (unless you want Clapton to sound like Madonna)
-- Never leave the grilles on the speakers (make the treble audible, its better that way, trust me)
-- Never leave the display on for more than five minute intervals (making sure to only do so while closely supervised to avoid death from seizuring)

********** Never buy another mini-system until you have heard this one, it really is good for a mini-system.

Submitted by Glottis a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
The NSX-A707 is big and powerful, with a booming 80 watts per channel. It has a lot of cool features like surround sound, built-in rythms such as salsa and rock, and even a built-in game.(It's a little slot machine.) It delivers thundering bass and yet clear, defined treble. The sound is not distorted at the full volume of 50, which is an indication that the speakers can handle a lot of power. The whole middle unit has tons of green and red lights and smoky, thinted plastic. This stereo is as cool as sh*t.

Submitted by Dimitry L a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got mine recently, and now for just $200! The price, of course, was so low because it is now considered to be a "last year's model." I did not notice any significant difference in quality between this one and the equivalent 99 model (trying both of them in stores), but in fact, there was a difference in the price ($200 vs. $300-400, which i just couldn't afford). So I bought this one. The only thing it lacks in comarison to the 99 AIWA mini systems is the built-in subwoofers, which, again, from my humble listening experience, do not make any difference in the actual bass reproduction compared to the older plain 3-way AIWA speakers which NSX-A707 has. The system has about all the cool features you'd see in a pretty expensive new 99 stereo, plus the DSP which does cool echo as well as the known "sewer pipe effect," so it's a real bargain if you're still able to find it in stores!
I've read some complaints about the equalizer in this system not being able to adjust the middle frequencies. Well, I'll tell you that's true ... but can I ask you one question then? Okay, now, how often do you touch the mid-frequency sliders on your current equalizer? (if one allows do to this of course) I bet I'd hear many "never" responses to that question, eh? Because on my old double deck recorder those two sliders were constantly at 3/4 from the top at any time, and absolutely not depending on the style and volume of the music! :)

I hooked it up to my SB Live! Value sound card and now can compose and listen to MIDI music and do tracking with quite a relatively impressive sound output. Don't know, I'm very happy with the purchase! :)

Good luck!

Submitted by victor a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I think this system is a good value. For less than $250 you get a potent 80 watts per channel and pretty decent bass. The midrange power is a little weak but it's still a good system overall. If you have less than $300 to spend, I would recommend the aiwa.

Submitted by thomas a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Yeah rating 5 star that is why i bought it. I am going to return it, and shop around more. To me rating 5 star must be perfectly... such as balance, controling level BASS, TREBLE. But that is okay, I going to find better one.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener