Aiwa NSX-999 Mini Systems

2.81/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Bass Wizard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ok, so I am 16 years old, but that doesnt mean I don't know anything about audio. My dad has been in the music buisness for years and I have been to countless concerts. Almost every concert I have been to my dad explained the audio system to me and how it works, so I know quite a bit about audio. So this system for me is like a baby in a candy store. I bought it for 10$ at a garage sail. I brought it home and plugged it in and the CD player didn't play CD's, but that didnt stop me from using it. I plugged it into my computer and it was marvolous. I LOVE THIS SYSTEM! This is by far the best $10 I spent on a audio system. Many of you probably won't be able to get this for $10, but if I knew how good this system was and went to a store to buy it I would spend at least $1000 on it. It is an awesome sound system. Hope you like my review.

Submitted by Henry king2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought a nsx 999 back in 1996, 12 yrs later its still the system i recommend if you want powerful bass and quality sound. For a mini system it really is kick ass and puts all other mini systems to shame. Yes ive had the problems with the cd player skipping etc, but the aux inputs has backed this system up so its also part of my computer, playing mp3, movies etc thru it, and it works perfectly fine. Since then i have not come across any other mini system which can match the aiwa nsx 999. Today i now have two systems.... the aiwa nsx 999 and the aiwa nsx 999 mII both are hooked up to my comp and i tell you it rattles windows and annoys old grannys.

Purchased At:   N.Z

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit as as open box item. I really haven't had any major problems in the 7 years I have had it. Once in a while it won't switch to the CD that I want to listen to. I usually turn it off for a minute or so and this seems to resolve the issue. The only other thing is the CD drawer sometimes needs to be coaxed to open, but only rarely. Haven't had any tracking or dimming display problems as of yet. Right now, it serves me in my basement while working out or on freelance projects. I have to admit, at a quarter of the way up, it sounds pretty darn good. If you go much louder than that, the speakers tend to distort. I'm sure that has as much to do with the quality of the amps as the speakers.The speakers by themselves do an excellent job producing bass. The one thing I've noticed, is that the T-Bass tends to distort and muddy the bass when the volume gets louder, while the same can be said of the BBE feature regarding treble. I recently hooked it up to a small T.V. with my old DVD player, and it does a very acceptable job, with decent impact and intelligible voice reproduction. This product is a decidedly mid-fi system, and based on that, I don't have any complaints at all.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Dave D a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I say about this compact hunk of junk that I own? One thing that comes to mind is (What a dumb***" for buying it). I returned for repairs just a couple of months from the purchase date (it was still under warranty) and the system worked fine for a couple of more months afterwards before it went out again (Problems were with the CD Player). Didn't realize that there was a wide spread of problems with the units from the mid 90's to late 90's until I read about the Lawsuit that was in progress. Oh yeah I was never informed about it till I read it on the web but some lawyers got wind of it way before that happened and thought it would be a good way to make lots of money for themselves while people like myself were stuck with the hunk of junk. Never trust in anything that has the Logo "Aiwa" on it. Don't be a "dumb***" customer like myself along with thousands and thousands of others.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by claudio cano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
me parce un buen equipo con todas las prestacione sque un equipo debe tener.
facil de manejar y entender.
el unico problema que tiene es que no puede utilizarse con sus parlantes originales ya que saturan al ponerlo al maximo, es recomendable utilizarlo con bafles de 12 pulgadas para los bajos.

Purchased At:   300