Creative Labs Nomad Zen
Description: Creatives upcoming digital music player, NOMAD Jukebox Zen, supports Windows Media Audio (WMA) 9, enabling users to enjoy the highest quality audio in the smallest file sizes, and this means that consumers now can carry more high-quality music with them

Submitted by WizeMuzik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
While it poses a 30 gig storage capacity, EAX environments, bookmarks, alarms, and as clost to an ipod as you can get, its definately a direct result of price being payed. Creative generally makes products with minimal input...meaning as cost-effective as possible.
In all, I was glad to have 30 gigs in my hand for a mere 220$, compared to a 350-400$ ipod with only 20 gigs.

Purchased At:   Circuit City (price

Submitted by Thom Drewke a

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
New to using and MP3 player, I saw cautionary tales about the Nomads, but the design and price worked for me. After loading quite a bit of wma music to the Zen Xtra, I've experienced the problem with locking up, and I bought the latest $25 copy of Notmad from Red Chair. Still have some problems with the software, but the player itself seems OK so far. That is, when it plays, it plays well. I'm listening right now on a pair of Sony MDS-7506 headphones and it seems able to drive them wll enough for rock n' roll. And yes I installed the latest firmware from the mfr's website before loading.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Santoku a

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
After mulling over whether to get an iPod, iRiver, or the Zen I decided that the Zen had the best combination of performance, storage, and price. Like most things packaging was excessive when it arrived. Unit is attractive and functional. Once the drivers were loaded I only installed the minimal Nomad Explorer software for transfering files to the player. Get the Notmad software from RedChair and you won't be disappointed. I find that other Media software is over-bloated and time consuming to use. USB 2.0 transfers are quick, although this latest version of the Zen player no longer has FireWire support. Large capacities are nice, and the internal hard drive is easy to replace with larger compatible drives, so you get good value for your money in the long run. Stock earphones are acceptable but not spectacular. Sound quality of the unit is excellent. I also hook it into my car stereo via RCA's (haven't used a CD since) and speakers on my work computer. Menu system is responsive, and the "Back" button is nice to work back a level or two without having to return to the base of a particular menu. Excellent battery life and charge times. A winner overall !

Purchased At:   NCIX.com (Vancouver,

Submitted by James a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
do not buy, my unit stopped functioning three weeks after I bought it and it has been on rma for the past two months with no work done to it.

Submitted by Neddih a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for a NOMAD Jukebox Zen (USB 2.0).

This product should not have been released. It has been about 3 weeks now and I still can't get MediaSource or PlayCenter to recognize the player so I can upload my MP3s. I have attempted to get it working on three separate machines. The products application will not recognize that the NOMAD has been connected.

Attempts to get support via email has proven futile. Their TSR keeps sending me email to install MediaSource but installing this software requires that it can detect the attached NOMAD. Thank you for the detail instructions (dripping of sarcasm). No luck there. There are several installs that apparently run in a sequence and one of the very first checks for connected NOMAD. Unfortunately it cannot detect the NOMAD even though the Creative Player Detector which is installed with the other application, PlayCenter, detects and loads the drivers correctly. I then figured out how to install MediaSource by making a copy of the decompressed files in the temp directory and using just the MediaSource installer and thereby by passing the NOMAD check. Still no luck. Damn MediaSource and PlayCenter keeps saying that there is no player connected. What a waist of time and effort.

Creative TSR is a joke. Dumb tech keeps sending me email telling me to install MediaSource (four times) but the install aborts because it cannot detect the attached NOMAD. And yes...I keep telling them that the install keeps failing during detection. TSR does not even mention (probably doesn't know their own products) how to get around the aborting install. Had to figured it out myself.

I am now asking for an RMA. Hopefully I can get a refund.

Avoid this product like an STD. This might very well apply to a lot of their other products. I know I will. I think the only good thing that is worth anything from this company are the soundcards...for now.

Purchased At:   Creative Labs Online