JBL Harmony
Description: am/fm/cd stereo alarm clock

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had my Harmony for quite some time now. I really like being able to "hit snooze" without moving by using the remote. The sound is nice and full and has impressed many of my friends and family. The only thing I would suggest if you own one is that you ground yourself before turning it on or off. I tried turning it on, shocked myself, and managed to blow up the lcd which is right below the power button... so now I can't read the time at all!

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Theresa Quirk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my system for one year. When people come to my house they always take a good look as they they can't belive the sound and how good it looks. I get so many compliments on it. I even take it outside and it fills the air with loud clear music. I'd say this is comparable, if not equal to - or even better than the Bose system. If you see one - grab it. I am looking for another myself.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Stuart a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Another Ubid buyer, it came missing the 'quality' fm antenna. I like the little remote, which takes some getting used to. I like that I can wake to music, then have the alarm buzz in 15 minutes later. Nice appearance.

I do not like that the display is invisible unless directly in front from less than 5 feet away. The controls are not instinctual. No way to adjust tone.

Sound quality is much better than a standard clock-radio.

Overall NOT worth more than $150, so I'll end up overpaying.

Submitted by Tweak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up a refurb (B stock) JBL Harmony from UBid for $127 plus rip-off level shipping fees. I have a 13 year old Proton clock radio by the bed that works okay, so I figured I could use the JBL in the bathroom. I have it sitting on the vanity, loaded into a corner, and I must say that it really cranks in a location like that. The bass is tight, and the mids and highs clean (no doubt to the discreet amplifiers driving the LF and HF). The tuner is sensitive and selective. I'd like to adjust the eq to my liking, but there's no tone controls so that's out. Also, I'd like to see what time it is when I'm in the shower but the LCD display is not visible across room.

Given the amount of acoustic output it's capable of, I really think it's better suited as a den or bathroom table radio than as a bedside radio, because in that position you're way to close to it. Strangely enough, thats about the only position where the clock is visible.

I don't know how it compares to the Bose wave radios, as I have a really bad attitude toward Bose products and would never consider them.

At approximately $150, I'm satisfied; if I had paid the $400 list I'd be pissed.

Submitted by Bill a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just received by JBL Harmony after winning it in an auction on the EBAY Internet site. I basically knew what I wanted so it was a question of getting a good deal....210 dollars including shipping, and it was like brand-new. For something this small, unless you are extremely picky about sound, this is a wonderfully sounding and physically attractive alternative to multi-part systems, even mini systems. It's only one piece, but still has a stereo image. For the price, it's better than Bose (overpriced of course) and JVC which takes up more room. It's given four stars sted of five cause the bass, though excellent, could be better (though it is already good and improves by moving fm tuner to mono position), and that's where Bose might win out, if you are dumb enough to spend hundreds of dollars for it.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener