Dared VP-20
Description: Model: VP-20 INTEGRATED/POWER QUASI-MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER (PUSH-PULL) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: MAX OUTPUT POWER: 18W FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20-20KHz (±1.5dB) DISTORTION: =1% SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO: =85dB INPUT SENSITIVITY: 350mV INPUT IMPEDANCE: 100K ohm OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4 ohm/8 ohm SIZE: L285 X W140 X H140 MM WEIGHT: 11.0Kgs/Pair THE TUBE USED: 6P3P(6L6G)x4,12AX7x2,12AU7x2 *(THE POWER SUPPLY REFERS TO VP-300B)*

Submitted by gothover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
Intro, I have been listening, buying and selling audio gear for the better part of my life, I have used Dyna,Mac,VTL,Hafler,T-Amp, Pioneed, Fisher...etc etc etc..... Recently I purchase the Dared VP-20 a very low buck tube amp set that claims to offer the same or better quality sound as the famous Mcintosh MC-240 when like tubes are used in each. I ordered the amp from EBAY for $650. 4 days later a nicely packaged double box showed up containing my new mono blocks, they were considerably smaller than I had imagined, but quite heavy and appear to be of good quality. I have to say that I was surprised and dissapointed that the tubes were preinstalled, the tubes have foam on all sides to prevent shifting, but I would still prefer see the tubes boxed sepatately and install them myself. While unboxing I also found a cleaning brush, a pair of white gloves that actually fit, and a soft cloth for cleaning tube rollling and general maintinance. I found this to be a nice touch. On to powering up; first off I left the wimpy power cord to live permanently in its original package and plugged in a Fastlane Audio AUG-10 power cord, then turned on the power. Needless to say the VP-20's passed the smoke test, and the tubes started glowing hot within seconds. I gave them just a few minutes to warm up then I introduced the VP-20 mono's to My two favorite artists Norah Jones and Diana Krall right away I noticed great bass response, and decent midrange in the first few minutes of operation. Next I let the tubes burn for 5-6 hours before any additional listening. When I returned I played Laurindo Almeida's Virtuoso Guitar, well known for his Samba guitar style and overwhelming xylaphone, I found this album amazing on the little Dared units. First the album is a very low cut that creeps up on you, but never like this, I was stunned by how dynamic the 6L6 tube really is, it reminded me of listening to Supertramps-Crime of the Century Original Master LP of the song "School" this cut also starts off low and progresses to the astonishing sound of a female screaming at the top of her lungs, I remember this well because every time she would scream my amps would go into protect and shut off. This is not at all the case with the compact disc which has seemed to lose all of its dynamics, probably due to the infinate wisdom of studio that destroyed this cut. Sorry for the flashback, but thats is the best way I can describe the Dared's initial presentation. Overall out of the box the Dared VP-20 performs well even with the stock tubes. BTW I have no intention of leaving the O/E tube in but it was certainly nice to have something to burn while I am waiting for a nice collection of Mullards, JJ's, EH'S to roll .

Purchased At:   E-Pay