Home | Reviews | VCRs | Toshiba

Toshiba W603 VCRs

1.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $149.99

· DA 4-Head · Hi-Fi Stereo Record/Playback · Front and Rear A/V Inputs · High-Speed Rewind/Fast-Forward (180x) · Preprogrammed Universal TV Remote Control

Submitted by Korkey604 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
i found this VCR outside in the lane way behind my house. it looked like good condition so i brought it inside. to my suprise it booted up, i poped in a tape and BHAM it worked. i was like NICE FREE VCR. i hit eject. it didnt come out....

so i cracked it open to find that one of the plastic gears poped out. i fixed it and it worked prefect!

soon after using it a few times. it would eat the disc up. i poped out but the tape was all pulled out. it was only a year old at the time.. what a peice of crap.

Submitted by Love Electronics a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this Toshiba vcr mainly because of Toshiba's reputation and the fact that my previous vcr was a Toshiba and I had been quite happy with it (till it broke down after some 5 years)
However after only less than 2 years the W603 wouldn't power up, it would just flash the display and sometimes it would be hours before it would decide to work again. Meaning that I could not use the program in order to set the timer to record a program. This rendered the machine useless expect for watching videos only. Real disappointment. And this happened just after the warranty expired.
I would never again buy a Toshiba vcr. I am so very disappointed that I spent the money on this brand and it lasted for so few months.
I would rather walk into a Walmart and buy the cheapest vcr there is instead of spending the extra money on a Toshiba knowing that it will likely stop working after a few months. At least a cheap one is easy to justify.
Very disappointed at Toshiba. They seem to be heading the same direction as Sony, where their products are made to last only a few months and then expect you go buy a new one (like my Sony car cd player, that stopped working after 2 years).›

Purchased At:   A&B Sound in Alberta

Submitted by mbacko1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this VCR from Best Buy so I could move my old Zenith to the bedroom. This VCR has good playback quality, the audio is exceptional, and the record quality in SP mode is very high. I've been very happy with the performance of this player.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I picked up this item for, yes, $2.14 (w/tax) used at a thrift store. There was no manual, but there was remote and vcr was in mint-looking condition, so I bought it... I bought it Today (5/1/2003) and I can already tell that it's a bad design. It is crazy to design a VCR where you manually have to turn off the on-screen display every time you turn on the VCR!!! WHAT THE HECK WERE THE DESIGNERS THINKING!?!?!!! I wonder why this working and handsome VCR sold for $2 in a thrift store!?

Purchased At:   Thrift Store

Submitted by Mike a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Toshiba W603 has played 60% to 70% of prerecorded videos decently for me.

The rest are not watchable because of tracking problems. The tracking display pops up but it cannot make the proper adjustments. The adjustments cannot be made successfully manually either.

The poor tracking capabilities of the W603 overshadows its positive qualities. It might be ok as a second vcr since it can play many of the video from the rental stores.

Purchased At:   Best Buy