Home | Reviews | VCRs | Sony

3.78/5 (18 Reviews)

4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR

Submitted by Joel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
It is in my collection of VCR's I've found in second-hand stores. I would use it a lot, but some of my tapes do not stay in HI-FI on this VCR, my primary model is the Sony SLV-N71, the main reason I keep the 679hf around is for backup, and if I am desperate, it's parts are compatible with the N71. Other than the HI-FI problem it works as good as any other Sony I've owned from those second-hand stores, it reminded me of a more simplified SLV-789hf which I accidently short circuited after two hours of owning it, which almost made me cry, I miss having a jog shuttle. It stays in my collection and I mess around with it every once and a while. I guess Sony could have done better with the audio with this model.

Submitted by M.K. Blount a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
This VCR is not worth the money, I believed that sony was a big name company with great products, all my japanese friends praise them constantly, I found out that this machine is made in Malaysia and has nothing to do with Sony Japan. you might as well say that they paid for the name and nothign more, Sony America has put out a lot of diapointign products as of late I have gone throught 5 of thier VCRs in the last 6 monthes, sometimes only haveing them for a night before returning them to the store the next day. The onlyplus is the menue system and the on screen display.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Igor a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is a very good vcr for unprofessional use. It has 4 heads and VCR+ . None of the fancy feautures though.

Purchased At:   nobody beats the wiz

Submitted by Richard Klug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
this player may not have the best vidio quality but is the best for reliabilty my kids have droped it pushed tapes in it and who knows what when i m gone.i just wish the rest of my audio eqipment was that tough.not a bad player for the money.

Purchased At:   frys

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I must have gotten the cream of the crop. Others who reviewed this unit have said that their VCR buzzes and whirs, and that the video/sound quality has been lacking, but so far I've been completely satisfied. The sound quality is great,and video plays well. Also, the on-screen menus are well designed, and easy to follow (unlike Panasonic VCR's I've had). Also, the fact that Sony included VCR+ on one of their less expensive models impressed me. Perhaps best of all, the unit runs silently and has for several weeks now. After I purchased mine, a friend went out and got the same unit, and had the same positive reaction as me. I purchased mine at Sony Sound Center for $105 after struggling with my Panasonic model from this year. I believe it was a great buy.

High End: