Home | Reviews | VCRs | Proscan

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR

Submitted by futurecop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Proscan PSVR65 VCR back in 1997 for $350. At the time the price was on the higher end. Within two years, a similar ProScan VCR had dropped in price to about $150. Ouch! I guess the proliferation of DVD players and cutting back on some features helped reduce the price.

The original remote still works well, the VCR still works great. The commerical advance feature works well, though it sometimes is slow to bookmark all commercials, and any RCA commercials do not get skipped.

The front panel has all the menu controls, so if you do not have the remote handy or it breaks, you won't be forced into buying a universal remote control right away. The jog/shuttle dial is not as user friendly as on the Sony SLV-595HF, but it still works well.

I have used this VCR to edit home movies shot from a camcorder. It did well for this task. I also have used this VCR to copy non-macrovision protected tapes from our Toshiba M-685. These came out acceptably well too. I never coppied anything from the SLV-595HF, however.

Picture quality for SP is a 4, for LP is a 3.5 and for EP is a 3... Which is slightly above average for a VCR, in my oppinion. This VCR can tape better than my TiVo SVR-2000, but that is to be expected to a certain extent. Playback is definitely lower quality than a DVD, but that is to be expected too. All the RCA input and output jacks are gold plated, so if you have gold plated cables, there is supposedly better picture and sound quality. I honestly can't tell a difference. This VCR is then routed to my STR-D915 amp, which then routes it to my JVC-27550 TV.

Overall, in the 5+ years I have had this VCR, it has done very well. It has been 100% reliable, whch cannot be said for the old Sony SLV-595HF

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased the unit as a leftover. The performance is excellent, however the on screen menu is sometimes cumbersome. I particularly like the remote which is comfortable to use and illuminated. The front end of the system is not great as some commomly used buttons are hidden behind flip down panels making ease of use suffer.

Submitted by Steve a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this VCR because of its commercial break feature. When I tape a program, the VCR determines the location of the commercial breaks. Then, when I play back a taped show, the VCR automatically fast-forwards through the commercials.

It works great! I would highly recommend this VCR.

High End: