Home | Reviews | VCRs | Marantz

Marantz MV5100 VCRs

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The MV5100 features advanced Super VHS ET (Expansion Technology) to record high-resolution S-VHS video using standard VHS video cassettes - which are less expensive and more readily available than S-VHS tape. The MV5100 includes a wealth of additional advanced features and technologies to provide unmatched audio and video performance, such as a Digital Studio Picture Control that automatically adjusts for the best possible picture quality at all times. The MV5100 offers unmatched ease of operation as well, with features such as One-Touch Recording, VCR Plus+ C3 programming and Tape Manager that makes finding favorite tapes and programs easier than ever.

- Super VHS ET (Expansion Technology) recording capability.
- Four video heads and two audio heads, with 19 micron head for SLP recording/playback.
- Digital Studio Picture Control.
- HQ processing and Video Stabilizer.
- S-Video inputs and outputs.
- Tape Manager tape organizing system.
- Universal remote with jog/shuttle.
- Wide variety of advanced convenience functions.

Submitted by Jarrett Gorin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I needed a quality VCR with S-Video output to work with the new home theater configuration I set up when we moved into our new home. I had a top of the line Sony VCR from 1996 which had great picture and sound, but no S-Video.

Upon beginning my product search, I discovered that it is really difficult to find a good quality VCR these days since most companies seem to be discontinuing them in favor of DVD's and DVD recorders.

After trying a $149.00 JVC unit from Ciruit City and realizing it was a step down from my Sony, I came across the Marantz, and I purchased one after reading the preceding reviews here on AudioReview.com.

The Marantz is a fantastic component. The sound quality is excellent, and really does rival the sound I get from DVD's (although obviously not surround sound). The picture quality is also the best I have ever seen out of a VCR. The lack of a flying erase head doesn;t bother me since we only use this component to watch video tapes.

The controls all have a good solid feel, and the display panel is very crisp and easy to read. The little stereo level meters are also really cool, although totally uneccessary.

Most of the few VCR's still on the market were really lightweight and just seemed to be of generally lesser quality than the other components in my system. The Marants must way around 10 pounds and is built like a tank. I can tell it is going to last for years.

I'd recommend this unit to anyone who has a high end home theatre setup and needs a good VCR because the have an existing large tape collection.

Purchased At:   Mission Audio

Submitted by valiant1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice super vhs vcr. It's larger and heavier than most vcrs built today. About 11 pounds. The Digital Studio Picture Control is very similar (same?) as JVC's Digipure system and provides excellent detail and resolution on new as well as older tapes in either vhs or svhs. My favorite setting is the "distinct" setting. Brings out detail long lost on my cheapo Sony vcr. I can actually clearly see the words "I Love You" written on the college girls eyelids in Raiders of the Lost Ark! Excellent for my old Indiana Jones collection that's not out on DVD yet.

I do have another JVC vcr and this model is very similar. I think the guts are the same as the JVC. The on screen menus are the same, clock display etc. are the same. Of course, Marantz always adds a little extra engineering on their own, especially to the sound capabilities and this unit seems to excel a bit more in producing excellent stereo separation as I feed it into my Marantz receiver for dolby surround processing.

Color control and separation using svhs cables is almost as good as my DVD - which is saying a lot. These are different formats and should be treated a such in comparisons. This VCR is one of the best I've seen in doing what VCR's do.

There are DVD recorders appearing but I've still got lots of videos and this should last me a while. Marantz products are excellent. I'll probably get a Marantz DVD recorder when they put out one. Will probably be based on the Philips model - but I'm fine for now, especially since there are format wars a brewing between the different dvd writable formats.

SVHS is still a viable format for recording shows from ReplayTV (or Tivo). A great fix while manufacturers get recordable DVD straight. Later, you can always take these svhs tapes and put them on DVD.

Purchased At:   accessories4less.com

Submitted by callmeG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a playback and TV show recording VCR only - NOT an editing deck much to my dismay. Seems to have every gadget BUT a flying erase head. Playback is nice and clear. Sound is second to none. TV tuner is average at best. If you don't do any editing, it is a nice VCR. Overall, not worth the money.

Purchased At:   Accessories4Less.com