Sony DVP-NC650V Multiple DVD Players

3.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $329.99

5-Disc Carousel DVD/SACD Changer

Submitted by Will Spinney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well I have owned this piece of equipment for 12 years and it has given me nothing but satisfied pleasure. I run it to a Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and some Polk Monitor 70 speakers and whether playing DVDs, CDs or SACDs it rocks. Right now I am listening to 5 of my home made cd's and cannot be happier. I really like this product and it sucks I cannot find a Blue Ray equivalent.

Submitted by Robert Ward a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ok, I've had this unit for a yr. and a half, bought it because I wanted a "glimps" of what SACD was about and at the time the closest price player was like $1000. higher. I have had no problems with the player. DVD picture is very good, I cannot comment on DVD audio because I use the digital out to another processer. Red book CD sound is so-so at best (compared to higher end players, and the SACD section (5.1 and stereo)sounds very good. So good, in fact, that I am upgrading to the ES line. Anyone interested in this unit can contact me via e-mail.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by B Parker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
This piece of equipment is what got me interested in A/V. The You have not enjoyed recorded music until you've heard a Super Audio CD.

The DVD player has been wonderful - no trouble whatsoever. The SACD portion of this blew my socks off.

You actually can hear the "location" of each instrumentalist. In several of my Louis Armstrong CD's, he's standing between my center and front right channels... The thing to remember is that quality is contingent on the Producer of each album - kind of like a DJ. He remixes the original recordings to place each soundwave. Pretty cool.

Definitely worth picking up.

Purchased At:   SoundTrack

Submitted by Another Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
(4/2003) Will start with the very BAD news: After 16 months of light use, the front display of this player sizzled, flashed, and died! The only working lights on the front of the player are not helpful to see which disk and which track/chapter is playing. After the burning smell cleared and my heart started again, I found that the On Screen Display through the TV still worked though. Otherwise the player would have been nearly unusable. Note that other reviewers have had problems with front panel lights on this model! Now to the Great stuff about this player. SACD is the greatest leap forward in sound quality since CDs replaced those awful audio cassettes. The new releases that are originally mixed for 5.1 SACD (Beck, Sea Change) and those recordings that are CAREFULLY remastered and mixed for 5.1, (Pink Floyd, DSOTM) are the most powerful, encompassing sound experiences ever available to regular consumers. The clarity of the SACD is ABSOLUTELY NOT HYPE!! The soundstage is truly 3 dimensional; you can hear the pick on the string, the stick on the skin, see the bass drum kick, and nuance that you never heard in the original recording jumps out at you and knocks you out! And SACDs are much more available now than just a few months ago. If there ever was a war between the SACD and DVD-Audio formats, SACD has won handily. The DVD movie performance of this player is not disappointing either. The real strength of this player is the price though. I have not seen a 5-disc carousel CD/DVD/VCD/SACD player for anywhere near this price. I think this model has been discontinued, but I still see it around. If you can get it for less than $200 new, don't hesitate.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Before I get into this review, let me share the component that I have matched with this receiver.
· AV Amplifier: Onkyo TXDS797 THX certified
· DVD/CD/SACD Player: Sony DVP NC650V and Pioneer Elite DVC-36 (5 CD/DVD changer)
· Speakers: Wharfedale Pacific Center Channel, Wharfedale Pacific PI-40 Front Left/Right, and Wharfedale Pacific PI-10 rear surround channel.
· Subwoofer: Infinity HPS-1000 (1000 watts) Cable: All Monster Cable
When I played SADE’s “Is It A Crime?” and “Jezabel” this thing conveyed the music with great detail and emotion. They are very convincing and would convince you that the singer is right in front of you singing. This is a wonderful bargain for the price. The sound quality for music is good. With a good SACD playback at this price, there is not much to complain about. The home theater performance is fantastic. I played the movie Pearl Harbor and planes fly bys were realistic and the dialogues were clear. Picture quality is very good but the Pioneer Elite DVC-36 is better in the picture area. The sound stage was wide and dynamic. This DVD player fits my needs perfectly. For music, this is better than the Pioneer Elite DVC-36 but the Pioneer Elite is better for movies.

Purchased At:   Circuit City