Sony DVP-CX995V Multiple DVD Players

3.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $292.00

• Disc Explorer on-screen display
  • Built-in Dolby
  • 2 audio/video outputs
  • Optical and coaxial digital outputs

Submitted by jerry arnold a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have owned every model of the sony mega-disc changer from the frist 200 disc model all through the 400 disc Blu-ray monster and a lot of the problems that I heard people talk about I believe or caused by not understand how to fully use their equipment no.1 tthese guys don't operate with the speed of a computer hard drive so you have to remember that these machines have a mech. turntable that has to cycle to work correctly so getting frustrated at the speed that it turns can sometime cause a little impatience an u may want to keep pushing buttons to hurry it along which can cause it to go into the dreaded 13:00 instead let it stop an then just enter what ever disc no. u want to go to an press play or enter and it will go directly to your disc.no.2 to stop it from starting up on last disc played simply hit the stop button twice when youre done watching a movie and it will go back to menu.no3 all of the dvd changers that I owned an still do will play dvd-r dvd-rw and the cd equvilant except for the frist 200 disc model no4 the changers wont auto load disc info unless it present on the disc so sony added the keyboard inter-face its not perfect but its better than nothing the Blu-ray changer does solve that problem with internet access for all your movies but I think sony should have left the key board plug on board its better to have and not need than to need and not have if u take the time to learn all of the sonys menus and sorting these machines will shine for you I still own six of these beasts but remember their nowhere as fast as a computer so a little patience will and learning what they can an cant do will go a long way in all the years ive only had one crap out on me and that was because of a bad lazer assemblely

Submitted by craigmusgrove a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I cut this review short as I hit post and it errored on posting! Good thing I copied the wesknesses before hitting post!

Even with the complaints I love this device and would di it again!

Purchased At:   A+B Sound - Canadian

Submitted by Craig Musgrove a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Just finished reno'ing my basement. Full blown theatre with 135 inch projection HD 1080p/i Panasonic. Denon reciever with 3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output. Everything is 1080p/i. I researched long and hard on this disk player as I have spent considerable time and money on the remainder of the system. Wanted to take full advantage of the entire system. Was real close to not buying the unit, but the 400 disks loaded at one time is hard to resist!

Read on but let me say right now, if I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I still would purchase the unit. I would however, like to see sony read this and update the hardware for next years release!

Purchased At:   A+B Sound - Canada

Submitted by DLloyd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Sony DVP-CX995V to replace our older DVP-CX985V. For us, the main differences between the two were the reasons for upgrading to the newer model; digital HDMI video output with upscaling of DVD movies to high-definition, the new version of Sony's Disc Explorer, and 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter (the same specification as the DVP-CX777ES model) for SACD playback.

The new Disc Explorer is faster, mainly because it does not display the jacket cover pictures for each disc in the main menu as did the previous versions. Other than that the two players are fairly similar.

Video and digital audio quality is very good (I'm using an HDMI-DVI cable for the video and a high quality DH Labs D-75 coaxial cable for the digital audio). The player also plays back JPEG pictures and MP3 audio (burnt onto CD-R discs in this case). MP3 audio is output as 44.1 kHz PCM. The DVP-CX995V does not have any external control ports (such as Sony Control S or Control A1II).

A few general points to note about previous and current Sony DVD/SACD changers:

- SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) playback is analog output only.

- DVD-audio discs cannot be played.

This model, like most others, cannot play the second side of a dual-sided DVD disc (the only model which did this was the now discontinued DVP-CX875P).

The majority of DVD video discs do not have title information (which is displayed in the Disc Explorer menu). For this you will have to type in the information by attaching a keyboard to the player. This can be tedious if you have a large number of DVD movies, but it works very well. I have never experienced loosing the title information which I have entered.

All of the SACD discs we own already have title information on the disc. For discs which do contain title information, the text cannot be edited.

Actually, out of the four Sony DVD magachangers we have owned, I by far preferred the design of the DVP-CX875P to the other models.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by vica a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
Having owned at least 8 different Sony players over the years, I have got to say considering the price paid, this unit is pretty swell. While there are is always the fear of the Navigator going mental, so far only a few titles have been lost to the ghost in the machine. Video wise, I think it looks quite good if not the equal of the Denon players. Layer changes have improved considerably over prior Sony offerings. The Disc Navigator is way better than the previous generation megachanger. The player is quiet to boot.
On the annoying side, the player always auto starts. i.e When the player is first powered, the player must load and start the last title viewed before you can go to the title you intend to watch. Annoying but not fatal. Load time could be better but it is not as bad as I have heard others whine about.
All in all, an insane amount of entertainment for a reasonable price. I purchased mine local given all of the potential problems intrinsic to megachanger. I figured just the shipping if warranty work was needed would offset the difference in price. C.C ships warranty work for free.

Purchased At:   Circuit City