Marantz VC5200 Multiple DVD Players

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

In capturing the emotion of realistic movie and music experiences, the Marantz VC5200 will make the difference. Enjoy hours of uninterrupted entertainment with our first 5-disc DVD changer, featuring progressive scan and 3:2 pull down technology. The VC5200 offers the dynamics, color and resolution for an extremely powerful and accurate reproduction of film and music based, DVD-Video discs. Complementing its unmatched video quality, the VC5200 is engineered to deliver a vivid and incredibly impressive audio performance. Relax, enjoy and experience the change.

Submitted by LeviathanPT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
Well I got this DVD player at a local thrift store, paid $15. I didn't know it at the time but it was a major score. I knew that Marantz is a realy good brand but didn't know to much about the DVD players. I bought it because I realy needed a good DVD player and just happened upon this Marantz. Great DVD player, I have it hooked up to my Denon home theatre receiver and they work great together. Great picture quality and picks up a lot of detail in the sound quality. There is a few things I don't realy like about it. Its realy slow as pointed out, and I realy don't like the configuration of the remote. Can't complain for what I bought it for though.

Submitted by kdelage a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great player, very good with music as well, I purchased a refurbed unit for
299 well worth every penny.

Purchased At:   accessories4less

Submitted by dmx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Real nice easy to setup. Great picture and audio quality. Video outputs progressive scan it fantastic. Very Slow loading almost makes having a five disk useless, I may bring it back for a better single disk CD/DVD.

Purchased At:   Harveys Electronic

Submitted by Sylvain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
At the time I was shopping, the VC-5200 was one of the few changers with Progressive Scan, MP3 support and 3:2 pulldown. Let's face it, this unit basically has all the bells and whistles you could get in 2001.

Although picture was fine, the first unit I got was freezing 12-15 times per movie. Needless to say, it went back to the store. Caught the Marantz rep who was visiting the store at the time and he exchanged it for a new one on the spot (of course, he had never seen that problem even though the VC5000 had similar problems reported).

The second unit I got dropped a DVD while changing discs and had to return to the store for repair. Came back two weeks later apparently with the problem fixed. It has not dropped discs yet but player now freezes on tracks it did not before. In addition, it freezes occasionally when watching movies (much like a layer change but not always at the same place).

So, second unit is going back to the store as well, they are exchanging the VC5200 for a Yamaha DVD-C920 (at an additional cost). I hope I will have better luck with the Yamaha.

VC5200 would not be a bad player if it worked properly. However, prices have gone down and many features can now be found on much less expensive units.

Purchased At:   Audio Centre Ottawa

Submitted by Shayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I chose this unit after searching for a "musical" DVD player. I find, although all DVD players will play 2 channel audio CD's, they often come out sounding a bit thin. Probably a result of too much emphasis being put on the video and DSP multi-channel aspects of a DVD player.
However, the Marantz VC-5200 seems to be able to play 2 channel audio CD's with a fair amount of depth and richness missing in alot of other DVD players. As far as watching and listening to movies, It's quite good. Great theatre sound, high resolution picture. My only complaints are that the tiny remote is not backlit, there is no true "random" feature for audio CD's (again, emphasis on movies) and the fact that the reponse time between the remote and the the unit is VERY slow.
I will say that if you are in the market for a good DVD player to go with a good home theatre setup, this unit will do fine. If you primarily listen to 2 channel audio CD's, like me, you'll likely want to buy a separate "CD only" player with the emphasis on music.

Purchased At:   A & B Sound