JVC XV FA90BK 7 Disc Multiple DVD Players

2.17/5 (6 Reviews)

none yet

Submitted by aojonesoa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit because of it's carousel changer and because the guy at Brandsmart told me that the unit plays so many different types of discs. When I got it home, the carousel is loud and DVD's with high audio sampling rates do not even play through the digital outputs!

I will be spending the 20% retocking fee to return this unit tomorrow.

Purchased At:   Brandsmart

Submitted by J J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Initially I was quite pleased with this changer. It provided the convenience of listening to 7 disks in a row and provided all the latest technology not found even in more expensive models. But after about one year music CDs started skipping and DVDs would freeze right in the middle of a movie. It is also quite noisy when changing from one disk to another. I tried to have it repaired but the estimate was too high. I had to trash this weak changer and just purchased an Onkyo DV-CP500.

Purchased At:   e-tronics

Submitted by jamison42166 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I looked up and compared features on dvd changers online. My Sony single disc player started eating dvds at 2 yrs of age and i gave up on it. i like all the features that this one has. especially dvd audio playback

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by ur7x a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit as a Xmas gift for my wife. Out of the box we have had problems. The system crashes, hangs and freezes on DVDs MP3 and other formats. The user manual is terrible and after 2 weeks of frustration we tried to return the unit. JVC has a policy that if the unit is over 30 days old they will not return the product. A I bough this gift in November, my only option is to have it repaired. The unit has now been in the shop for over 2 weeks as they try to "get parts" and reload the firmware whatever that means.

This will be the last JVC product I purchase

Buy a product from a vendor who stands behinds their equipment.

Submitted by NghiaLe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The 7 DVD changer makes changing DVD convenient. The unit is noisy when changing DVD. The carousel are made up of 7 individual sections that rotate up and down and over and under each other to allow 7 disks be stored in an area where only 5 disks would fit. The noise is not too bad since I don’t usually change disk while I’m engulfed in a movie.

The system plays DVD well. Watching the progressive scan on my HDTV was wonderful. This unit plays PAL DVD, SVCD, VCD, MP3, DVD-Audio, and CD music. This makes it useful to me since I have a lot of these format already.

The MP3 and CD music player doesn’t allow me to randomize, repeat, or program my selection. It just plays them in order. I would have liked those feature for this JVC unit. Also, the selection is made through the TV screen so I must use the TV to decide what track I want to listen to instead of the front display panel on the DVD player. I don’t mind that these features are not on the JVC but I would have like them so it would be more of a convenience for me.

I use this unit mostly to watch DVD in progressive scan mode. The remote is easy to use and very functional. Changing DVD is very easy and very handy especially if you are just sitting on the couch and want to watch another show. The DVD player also has zoom-in and a zoom-out feature. This is useful for me when I watch a wide screen DVD and want to use more of my TV screen by zooming in one level. You can also change DVD while watching another DVD.

Basically, this unit is a very good unit for me. I enjoy the 7 disk changer and the playback on the DVD. Besides my gripe about the feature for the MP3 and CD music feature, I’d say that this unit was worth it since I just use it to watch DVD anyway.

Purchased At:   Internet