Harman Kardon DVD 50 Multiple DVD Players

3.37/5 (70 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

5 disc DVD/CD changer

Submitted by trever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Harmon kardon dvd 50 worst machine ever harmon kardon used to b top line i paid $999 for this unit worked for maybe 2 years took it to a repair shop and they cany get parts.so now sittin for around for 7 years i figured id try and c if theres anyrhing i can dobefore i throw it out....i have harmon kardon avr 320 and avr 5 and will never buy hk again absolute garbage .thanks for taking our moneyg.

Submitted by blankk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I really liked the picture quality and sound from the unit until it just quit. Repairs to the pickup laser are estimated at $180. I never even knew there was upgrade software so never tried that. I have been told by the repair office in California the software was not the issue anyway. I had it over three years so only paid $166 per year of useage. HK tells me it is out of warranty so what I do is up to me. I just won't be buying a HK product again. My AVR 500 is also giving me problems consistent with other's complaints.

Submitted by King a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this from the Harman web site where they sell re-manufactured and discontinued models at discount prices. I have used the player for about 2 years now with no problems. The quality of the picture is excellent, and the sound, especially with optical cable, is outstanding. Ocassionally it will have difficulty reading a disk and will display a "disk error". However, if you remove the disk and reinsert it, it will read on the second try. While this does happen, it is very seldom.

Purchased At:   Harman Kardon Outlet

Submitted by Joenathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just as the warranty expired, the player stopped recognizing DVD discs. Then it stopped recognizing audio CDs. Local (trusted) repair shop called it a total loss, as it would cost more than its value to replace the ribbon cable and main board.

Originally selected for the combination of features (prog. scan, quality DACs, MP3, HDCD). I'd still like to have those features, but I'm not sure I can afford a Denon DVM-4800. My gut tells me it wouldn't be wise to buy a remanufactured HK DVD-50 on eBay.

Purchased At:   Local HiFi dealer (f

Submitted by Flyingshrapnel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent player. Little problems encountered and all can be solved quickly. I had over 300 DVD movie collections and I have play over 100 of them in three month. Only three incidents since I got it as refurbished unit from HK. Playback skip only in two disc that had finger prints. I wiped clean them with pure alcohol and it never happened again. The third case was a freeze up during change audio set up to DTS during playback. I punched the wrong button on remote and then made several quick attempts to correct it. I think the unit freeze up because contradictory commands present. It never happened again after the situation clear it self up. I think all the previous reviews regarding these type of problems can be traced to either dirty disc or lens, or user. If the user became irritated, then he or she will complicate the problem by punch in too many commands at once. I had a Pioneer LD player that I have to enter command in a particular sequence otherwise it will not work right. I bought this unit before I found out this reviewing site. I was worried after reading so many negative reviews and considering that I should return it before warranty expired. But at other AV discussion forum site, more complains about playback skip on almost every other brands across board. Many from brand new unit playing the very first new disc. I decide to give this HK DVD 50 a try and never happier since. It has an Impressive picture and sound quality compare to my older first generation Panasonic player (A100). The color and sharpness are astounding when playing movie like Saving Private Ryan and Stargate etc. There are many sound effects that I never heard before, but it may be due to new Denon receiver I got the same time. I serious suggest that people encounter playback skip situation should try to clean their disc with pure alcohol first (not the diluted or denatured type that might leave more residue). Getting angry and frustrated will only make thing worse. I have no problem with 5 disc carousel except that if there should be more disc selection control other than "disc skip" and it only go one way. Also, HK should not become compliance and sit on brand name recognition and fan loyalty. HK should try to include more innovative function to its product rather than less. HK units cost more when compare with similar level of product from maker like Denon or Yamaha. People paid more will certainly expect more and tend less tolerance to problems. I will buy another HK unit but only after compare features and price with others.

Purchased At:   Harman Kardon on eBa

Best Buy offers $50 rebate to HD-DVD owners, Circuit City offers trade-up to Blu-ray

When the HD-DVD camp threw in the towel, Best Buy had indicated that they would come up with a trade-in/up program for HD-DVD player owners. Presumably other retailers were weighing similar programs for their customers. Details of BB's program were posted onto their website this week. It basicall ... Read More »

Top 50+ DVD's

So I compiled a list, not in any particular order, of all the must have DVD recommendations I was given in another thread. To make a better top 50+ list, which movies would you add or take away? The more recommendations the better. Gladiator Lord of the Rings Trilogy(extended editions) T ... Read More »

BLG CP024: