Harman Kardon DVD 50 Multiple DVD Players

3.39/5 (71 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

5 disc DVD/CD changer

Submitted by foothill lady a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed 14 years with my Harman Kardon DVD 50 5-Disc player. I even was able to just turn off and on with Blue Rays and they would still play. But I just bought a Samsung Smart TV and it does not recognize my HK. Very disappointed with Samsung not recognizing my player. So I will sell it and do with out. It is still in excellent condition inside and out, looks and works like new. So sad. It was mostly used for music. I wanted to have it just for music but my receiver, a HK did go out. Don't want to buy another receiver. I would load it up and work on the computer, do house work or just sit and enjoy my music. I see online you cannot get much for them. I am assuming because of the incompatibility, Blue Rays, Netflix and the like plus peoples lack of knowledge of what an excellent player it is. You will be missed DVD 50 :(

Submitted by trever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Harmon kardon dvd 50 worst machine ever harmon kardon used to b top line i paid $999 for this unit worked for maybe 2 years took it to a repair shop and they cany get parts.so now sittin for around for 7 years i figured id try and c if theres anyrhing i can dobefore i throw it out....i have harmon kardon avr 320 and avr 5 and will never buy hk again absolute garbage .thanks for taking our moneyg.

Submitted by blankk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I really liked the picture quality and sound from the unit until it just quit. Repairs to the pickup laser are estimated at $180. I never even knew there was upgrade software so never tried that. I have been told by the repair office in California the software was not the issue anyway. I had it over three years so only paid $166 per year of useage. HK tells me it is out of warranty so what I do is up to me. I just won't be buying a HK product again. My AVR 500 is also giving me problems consistent with other's complaints.

Submitted by King a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this from the Harman web site where they sell re-manufactured and discontinued models at discount prices. I have used the player for about 2 years now with no problems. The quality of the picture is excellent, and the sound, especially with optical cable, is outstanding. Ocassionally it will have difficulty reading a disk and will display a "disk error". However, if you remove the disk and reinsert it, it will read on the second try. While this does happen, it is very seldom.

Purchased At:   Harman Kardon Outlet

Submitted by Joenathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just as the warranty expired, the player stopped recognizing DVD discs. Then it stopped recognizing audio CDs. Local (trusted) repair shop called it a total loss, as it would cost more than its value to replace the ribbon cable and main board.

Originally selected for the combination of features (prog. scan, quality DACs, MP3, HDCD). I'd still like to have those features, but I'm not sure I can afford a Denon DVM-4800. My gut tells me it wouldn't be wise to buy a remanufactured HK DVD-50 on eBay.

Purchased At:   Local HiFi dealer (f

Best Buy offers $50 rebate to HD-DVD owners, Circuit City offers trade-up to Blu-ray

When the HD-DVD camp threw in the towel, Best Buy had indicated that they would come up with a trade-in/up program for HD-DVD player owners. Presumably other retailers were weighing similar programs for their customers. Details of BB's program were posted onto their website this week. It basicall ... Read More »

Top 50+ DVD's

So I compiled a list, not in any particular order, of all the must have DVD recommendations I was given in another thread. To make a better top 50+ list, which movies would you add or take away? The more recommendations the better. Gladiator Lord of the Rings Trilogy(extended editions) T ... Read More »