Harman Kardon DVD 5 Multiple DVD Players

3.88/5 (43 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

5-disc DVD changer - 96 kHz/ 24 bit DACs by AKM - 10-bit video DACs - MPEG decoding

Submitted by clmrt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bid on this simply to watch it - and wound up winning it for $79. Total cost was $91 shipped for a like new DVD changer.

I use this every day - The wife fires it up in the morning for my daughter to watch while she gets ready for the day, and I fire it up at night for CD's and DVD's. It has yet to falter.

Nice looking, big and heavy. Great manual and remote. The fact that it doesn't play CD-R is going to hurt, but I have a Sony changer that can handle it. I wish I didn't need 2 players for just a few discs, but that's OK.

At first I didn't like the look of it, but I also picked up a new TV within a week of installing this, so I had to get used to 2 things at the same time. Once the TV and DVD player burned in I began to tweak out the TV, and now I'm happy with the overall look of everything I play on this. It seems to be true to the video source - bad transfers look bad, but good ones are truly awesome. Lion King, Toy Story, Nemo all look so incredible, people can't believe it.

System as of now -

HK DVD5
HK AVR110
Toshiba 32AF43

The ratings reflect the price paid. If I paid $200 or more, I'd expect CD-r, adjustable black levels, progressive scan, etc.

Purchased At:   ebay / HK

Submitted by HellboyJr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I admit it, I am very partial to HK products. I own 2 of their receivers (one of these for 2 years, the other for 6, and they both work beautifully), but as far as dvd players go, they have done a very shoddy job in terms of lasting power.

The first unit that I bought lasted almost a year (to the day). Then one day, the unit wouldn't come out of standby mode, with a few dvds trapped inside. HKs techs couldn't help on the phone, and they had me drive down to New Jersey to an authorized dealer, who kept it for 2 months (these can only be repaired in CA at a specific HK repair shop it seems). After making a bit of a stink, HK sent me a refurbished model.

I've used this one about 15 months, but now this one is starting to act flakey. The picture will start to stutter, and break up, then will stop completely. This is on pristine discs with no smudges or scratches.

I have reset the processor, but this doesn't affect the problem.

So now, I don't know how About Schmidt ends, because the player encountered these problems towards the end of the movie. Very aggravating.

I spent about $500 for this, then had the long drawn out problems with getting the unit repaired, and when all is said and done, these played for about a year each before problems were encountered.

HK definitely has to work on improving the longevity of their dvd players. Until then, I think I will shop for a different brand, since this one is on its last legs.

Purchased At:   soundpros.com

Submitted by rstein13 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Unreliable junk!!! I bought my first unit Nov 6th, 2001 and it died three days after I installed it. The replacement lasted 15 months and it is now dead as well (out of warranty). Other than that it is a fine unit.

Purchased At:   800.com

Submitted by NickWH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the DVD 5 thinking it was the DVD 50 in the store. Oops! That's why the price was so good. Anyway, I didn't realize this until I unboxed it and set it up.

In any event, the performance was so good that I couldn't return it. After all, it was H/K, and it was a changer. I was upgrading from a Sony single DVD player and I had a half-broken Onkyo 6 disc CD changer. This unit kills two birds with one stone. It's just a shame that it does not play CD-R's. It will play some CD-RW's, but who buys those? Other features like Random Play only work per disc, so keep that in mind if you like to play music for extended periods. As one would expect, you can change discs while one is playing.

The onboard DAC and processor circuitry is definitely on par with external units. This alone is a selling point. I play audio CD's using the digital optical out and the sound is amazing. The video is also very good, but I have to upgrade my TV to get the full benefit. The OSD menus and the remote are fairly intuitive.

Purchased At:   6th Ave. Electronics

Submitted by parkerbink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Love the changer, hate that it doesn't play cdr's great picture, excellent sound very nice unit. Hopefully it won't be beset by HK'S reliability woes

Purchased At:   New on half.com

Greys Anatomy DVD 1-5---share with you

I became interested in [url=http://www.dvdsuperdeal.com/greys-anatomy-seasons-1-5-dvd-boxset.html] this show[/url] because I just happened to catch the "code black" [url=http://www.dvdsuperdeal.com/greys-anatomy-seasons-1-5-dvd-boxset.html]episodes[/url] and the finale of [url=http://www.dvdsuperde ... Read More »

upconverting dvd problem with 5.1 audio channel

Hi, So i have lg dvx492H dvd player and it is connected with my lg sl8000 TV set via HDMI cabel. My problem is I cant get Dolby 5.1 audio Chanel from any DVD. Only 2.1 and 2.0 channels are available. I tried it with bit stream as well as with PCM audio output. I have also tried changing sampli ... Read More »

Whats a good 5 disc upscaling DVD changer

Early reply sincerely appreciated. ThanksRead More »

DVD 5.1 Recording Questions & More

Are there any stand alone DVD recorders that allow you to record 5.1 sound or is this impossible currently because US law prohibits this? I know you can record 5.1 sound on computer DVD burners but am not sure on stand alone recorders. Can someone give me some background into this. As an aside, ... Read More »

360 HD-DVD Price Drop 5 Free Movies

MS announced that the add-on HD-DVD drive will now be priced at $179 US, and include 5 Free HD-DVD's. Not a bad way to step up to HD-DVD if you have a 360. Read here: [url]http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/26/xbox-hd-dvd-player-now-179-includes-5-free-movies/[/url]Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: