Yamaha YHT-100
Description: <ul> <li>100-watt powered subwoofer with 6-1/2" multirange driver, 2-position high-cut filter selector and BASS circuit (optimizes response for movies or music)</li> <li>5 matched satellites feature dual 2" full-range drivers in acoustic-suspension enclosure</li> <li>21 DSP surround programs, with up to 41 variations (including Yamaha Quad-Field Cinema DSP and Silent Cinema/Virtual Cinema DSP)</li> <li>Dedicated 5-band graphic EQ lets you precisely tailor response in the center channel for optimal clarity and intelligibility</li> <li>Digital AM/FM tuner with 40 station presets</li> </ul>

Submitted by Bofo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
As my first foray into a purpose built home theater system (before this I had my old 2-speaker stereo system providing the sound for movies)I talked to several people about what to buy. Yamaha seemed to get the best reviews. Best Buy had the Yamaha YHT-100 for under $300 and I bought it. I asked the somewhat unhelpful "salesman" there if he also would recommend this one. He said it would be OK "for a small room". Hardly glowing praise. After hearing this with DVD movies(in conjunction with my 65" projection HD tv & progressive scan dvd) all I can say is it is an outstanding value. I was worried it wouldn't have enough power, but for my room (about 12X20) it has PLENTY of power and the sound is very crisp. It adds a new dimension to the movies.

Purchased At:   best buy