Pioneer NS-DV55
Description: Home Cinema Set DVD / CD / Tuner / 5 satellites / active sub

Submitted by Paul a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I did my homework, comparing this system to others I have seen. Bought this as an early Christmas present for my family since we've never had a nice all-in-one-system. Tossup between this and the new BOSE 3-2-1, but the $1,000 pricetag and unavailability of the BOSE system made this an easy choice.
Took far less time setting up than I thought, as running the speaker cables was the most time consuming part.
Felt a little daunted as I picked up the user's manual, but realized it was well designed and fairly easy to understand. (50% of it is in French - that's why it seemed so big).
For me the clincher was the look on my kids' faces when I fired up "Shreck" on the DVD player with the surround sound. Good purchase that I expect will yield a more than adequate return for the meager investment

Submitted by john a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am a big listener of music and a rare television viewer but do dig the odd movie. I bought this because of the design but also because of the DVD aspect to "futureproof" the stereo. I figure if you buy the latest and spend some money it lasts much longer.
I own a small terrace house and the size and power of the system is a big plus. The downside is the subwoofer drives the speakers yet you cannot put it away from the main DVD player. The speakers have a mile of standard speaker cable but the processing cables from woofer to silver box are too short. I wanted to have the woofer under the lounge and it was all too hard.
5.1 ( DVD ) surround rocks as does the units ability to extract every last ounce from your current CD's. I am a convert and watch DVD's all the time now......all I need is a bigger TV

Buy one, they are great, have loads of power and really are the way forward.

out.

Purchased At:   DME hi fi

Submitted by Sam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Love it! This is the perfect machine for anyone who enjoys listening to music and not the absence of negligible distortion. I am happy with my ears, they work very well in general, and I was delighted to discover that CD's sounded better playing through the Pioneer's 5.1 channels than they ever did from the ugly stack of black Hi-Fi separates it replaced. DVD playback is great, but having little experience of this medium, I don't feel qualified to rate it. What impresses me most about the Pioneer though is how well designed it is - how well specced the package. I believe it is an excellent idea to separate amp from source and Pioneer have stuffed the amp in the subwoofer, indirectly making cable management a bit easier. The display is separate too and looks perfect on top of my TV. The remote control is fully programmable - not as difficult to set up as I thought - so I could lose the ridiculous Sony VCR and Samsung TV remotes for a start. The digital lines are a very welcome touch, if like me you have an MD recorder with a digital Line-In. The build quality is superb and the instructions are easy to follow. There is room for improvement in one or two areas and Pioneer have just released the DV88 which I imagine may address these, but for the money, the DV55 is a gorgeous bit of kit.

Purchased At:   unbeatable.co.uk

Submitted by Typhoon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
After 2 years i decided to replace my JBL ESC 550 Pro Logic system for something new.I personally prefer full size audio components,but my wife doesn't like those big speakers etc.So I search,again,for a small sized,all-in-one system,but only this time with Dolby Digital and DVD onboard.After reading a lot on the net,I've decided to order the Pioneer set cause most reviews and reviewers were most positive about this product.
After installing the set,first thing I tested was the tuner and audio-cd.Mmmm,not too good.Sounds really "flat" and not so natural.Ok,it's a home cinema set,so let's try DVD.Had to change the bass to -3 instead of +1,but even than the bass is totally screwed up!No deep bass what so ever,it just sounds like a cheap Yoko system to me.Guess I was to much attached to my JBL.

Purchased At:   miepkniep.nl

Submitted by Tommy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I was shopping around, I was hoping to eliminate my old Onkyo Pro-Logic system (due to a lack of space). However, upon listening to a few CD's, I think I'll keep one for audio purposes, and the Pioneer strictly for video.

Watched two movies so far... Sounds great for movies! Very involving and much superior to my Pro-logic system. Never thought two channel rears would make such a difference!

But using this unit is not easy... If you just want to play DVD's, sure, that's easy. But if you want to take advantage of the full system capabilities, it'll take some time. The manual is pretty hefty, and I still haven't taught my wife how to use the system...

Purchased At:   Golden Electronics