Kenwood Kenwwod HTB-505 Home Theater in a Box

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $379.95

Home Theater System

Submitted by Eric Laferriere a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
After deciding to venture into the true Dobly Digital world, I did away with my all-in-one Sony stereo (lasted 2 years - can't remember model I hated it so much) and purchased this wonderful product. I can't say it was easy setting it up since it was my first venture but it was well worth the tooth-grinding!

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by Adam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had read good reviews about the predecessor to this package, the HTB 504, and I had intended to purchase one. By the time I had the funds to purchase it though, it was being phased out and replaced by this unit, the 505.
New features included an updated Receiver (the VR 606, I believe) and a more powerful subwoofer.
And having used this package for about four months now, I can tell you this stereo is great. It's great for watching movies and playing games, and it can take just about everything you can hook up to it. I've got a Sony DVD player, Digital Cable terminal, PS2, CD player, tape deck, and VCR all connected.
The speakers are very good for a package of this price, with the powered subwoofer producing incredible bass. Turn to helicopter crashes in Black Hawk Down, or the asteriod field chase in Star Wars, Episode 2 for great demos.

The remote controls just about all the components that I have, and it feels very solid and has a joystick. (It's a guy thing).
Highly recommended.