JVC TH-M55 Home Theater in a Box

• 5-disc changer
  • plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs, CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
  • plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
  • built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic II decoding
  • tuner with 30 FM/15 AM presets
  • 1 audio input
  • optical digital input
  • selectable progressive-scan video
  • monitor video output (composite, S-video, and component video)
  • AV CompuLink
  • multibrand-for-video remote control
  • 15-3/4"W x 3-3/8"H x 14-3/8"D

Submitted by ScottTM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great sounding system for the money. Sounds better than most $500 and under systems. Sounds as good a $800 systems. Plays movies and music crisp and clear. Remote controls my Toshiba TV and my JVC VCR. I only need one remote now. Easy to work remote.

Purchased At:   HH Gregg

Submitted by sw33tjimmy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I haven't been using this unit for very long, only 1 day, actually. But I am so excited about it that I had to write something. If something bad happens to it in the next month or so, I'll make sure to write another review.

This Unit was perfect for me. I've got a pretty modest living room; it is probably 12' x 15' max. With a room this small, there's really no reason to buy uber-expensive components to piece together. The Size of these speakers is very impressive. If you're looking at the picture, the Subwoofer is almost the same size as a mid-sized computer tower. I wasn't expecting these things to be as big as they are. In fact I had a little trouble making room for them without driving some nails in some hard-to-reach spots.

It took me about an hour to set up, and that includes meticulously running speakerwire. All of the speakers actually plug into the bass unit, and if your room is any larger than what I mentioned above, you may need to get ahold of some longer speaker cables. That which is provided is pretty light weight and fairly short. I only had about 2 feet of spare length on each satellite once everything was run.
These speakers are good looking. If you're superficial like me, they will make you happy. The covers are all silver and the units themselves are black with silver detail.

The bass amp is loud enough to rattle the clock haning up on the wall in my living room. I was watching the Fellowship of the Ring last night and there was so much power behind this system that the Balrog's footsteps shook my entire house. It was an incredible feeling!!! The screeching of the RingWraiths was nearly unbearable. The maximum volume I took it up to was 50, but I'm not sure how high it goes up. At 50, the system was definately too loud for my tastes, but I didn't notice a single crackle in the satellites, or a cut-out in the base unit.
The DVD player/receiver has a good combination of inputs and outputs. Since the DVD and Receiver are built in together, you don't have to worry about any connection there. The other connections they provide:
optical/digital audio input
Svideo-in
Svideo-out
RCA-out
Component video out
and
Composite video out

Hooking it up to both my VCR and Xbox was pretty simple; I just had to use the Xbox's digital audio capabilities with an aftermarket add-on adapter (AKA- Advanced A/V pack).

The DVD unit is killer! This baby is a 5-disk changer and will play DVDs, CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, and Jpeg slideshows on disk. Not only that, but you also have progressive scan output for HDTV's. DVD playback quality is top-notch.

The Remote control is pretty sweet. You can easily program it for televisions, VCR's, and stereos. I was able to eliminate my TV remote that used to control both my TV and my VCR, so even with the new unit I'm only using 1 remote.

Purchased At:   Vanns.com