Denon DHT-700DV Home Theater in a Box

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

DVD Player Digital Surround Receiver, 5 Speakers and Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
This system replaced a aging 2-speaker bookshelf component system (all Sony, and Pioneer/Boston Acoustic before that); I had to spend some time getting the speaker placement right for the room, because 5 speakers are a totally different animal than 2. The one nagging placement problem I have is that maybe my bed is too high from the subwoofer, because I'm not getting as much bass as I'd like.

I have to assume that the buyer of this system has no need for 100W/channel, and this system provides an honest 35. It also helps if you like the sound and style of Denon's electronics, which I do. The price and the clean sound seal the deal for me. The system's sound has a nice presence, and the soft dome tweeters (and the signature sound of a Denon receiver) keep them from being harsh. It does a good job with voices and light string instruments. Big orchestral movements and slamming electric bass are not their forte, but they do a fair enough impression of those sounds so that you can imagine what you are missing. You know going into it that you won't get the low-end richness of sound that you get with quality bookshelf speakers. Unlike most low priced HT-in-box systems, however, this one won't murder any of your music. I have listened to a lot of these kinds of systems, but I'm never sorry to go home to this Denon. This one is for the music lovers. The speakers are small enough to go anywhere, but they can do an okay job of filling up a bigger room such as a regular den. The preamp functions have the usual surround modes, and 5-speaker stereo makes almost any 2-channel recording sound good. As with any sort of satellite system that you could find in this price realm, it gives up some richness in the 200 Hz range. It would definitely benefit from a subwoofer upgrade. It's size, appearance, and wake-up timer make it a good choice for a bedroom. It's also a lot of bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by durand a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I will not comment on the system itself as it is only for my bedroom only. My only complain is the useless remote. This remote will not even talk to my regular, middle of the run TV (RCA 32") and my ProScan VCR.
I have receive nothing but useless help from thech. support

Buy this system only if you are willing to buy an other remote. Humm but then again, this is the same with any other remote anyway.

Purchased At:   Bleeker TV & Stereo

Submitted by srini d a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Elegant and the little subwoofer rocks for it's size. I picked after auditng Sony and Onkyo and I am glad. MP3 capabilty is a nice plus.

High End: