Athena Technologies Point 5 Complete Home Theater System Home Theater in a Box

4.3/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $795.00

Submitted by ronnbot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
I didn't hesitate to buy them when I saw these with an AS-P6000 sub instead and 2 stands for $100! That said, it is worth it's MSRP. I have a Tannoy HTS-101 5.1 set that I paid $300 (after 50% off sale), and it isn't as good as these Athena but I wanted a smaller system for a bedroom setup. Been using a pair of the Point 5 as rears with AS-F1.2 (fronts), WS-60 (centre) for years and I'm very happy. I gave a pair and the centre to my Dad and he's very please with them and he has Paradigm's and Magnaplanar's in other rooms. Obviously, the satellites do not have much bass and rolls off below 100Hz but it's pretty good above that with nicely detailed mids and highs.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Doesn't Matter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased this system from another forum member @ AVS. I had read great things and expected the same. The previous owner had them pretty much broken in when I got them but they have broken in even more in the 8 months that I've had them. Those that don't believe in speaker break i have never owned Athenas or Onix speakers. They do get much much better with time. I enjoy my music LOUD at times and with the efficiency of these Athenas, they will surprise you. They are a bright speaker, no one will deny that. You either love them or hate them, it's all up to your ears. My system did not include a sub so I purchased a Bic Acoustech H-100 from ebay and was absolutely blown away but that's another story. The Point 5's are a very clear and efficient speaker which will fit the bill for any budget home theater as well as music needs and do it better than any home theater in a box to date. The wall mounts that are included are a very nice design and come in handy. If I had spent $500 on this system I wouldn't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   2nd owner

Submitted by Grayson73 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm running this with Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver and SVS 25-31CS subwoofer. The speakers sound very clear and are a bargain for $199! They even come with mounting brackets!

I plan on upgrading the front speaker to AS-F2 and the center to AS-C1.

Purchased At:   Bestbuy

Submitted by Gflash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Athena Technologies Point 5 system is one of the most excellent speaker systems in its price range. For the review below which states that they are bright and boxy, Athena Technologies recommends a break-in period of 100 hours. They will sound bright and boxy right out of the box. Once they are broken in they are a killer set speakers! The brightness calms down to a detailed and airy treble, a clear midrange and a decent mid-bass that makes them easy to blend in with a subwoofer (which this system needs due to the small 4" woofer). Once you have properly broekn in and calibrated them using your receiver's/processor's test tones or a Home theater set up DVD and a sound pressure meter, you will be treated with a dynamic, full bodied sound. The Point 5's are good with music as well as Home theater. There are many favorable reviews on the internet on these speakers by some pretty reputable reviewers (Home Theater magazine, Sound and Vision, GoodSound.com, AudioIdeas). They also sound better when your speaker settings are set to 'large' and Athena Technologies recommends the 'large' setting anyway. Sounded wrong to me at first given that they are small bookshelf sized speakers but they actually do sound bettter set to 'large'. I have cranked the volume up with no ill effects. Unless you have them set up in a vary large room, these speakers are quite capable of putting out fairly high sound levels. Definitely audition the Point 5s if you are looking for a budget priced but high quality music/home theater speaker system.

Purchased At:   Best Buy.com

Submitted by ace5000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I thought I would try these out while waiting for my Magnepan MMG Ws to arrive.
Having tried many different speakers in a 5.1 set-up, I must say these are the weakest , i.e., bright and boxy. They don't look bad and at least you can hear something.

Purchased At:   Best Buy