Zenith DVD2250 DVD Players

3.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by leicanut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
if i rented all my movies from blockbuster, this unit would be ok. but I don't, and it is a bit too persnicky over what it will, or will not play. hence, it may become a gift to an in-law soon. either that unit, or the 3109.

Purchased At:   sams wholesale

Submitted by MountainGoat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just want to add my US$0.02 to what Simon said. 1 month after the warrantee ran out so did the laser. Had trouble finding the start of all CD's and DVD's. As advised, I called Zenith and after only asking for the serial number they sent out a UPS shipping label. There is an acknowledged problem (described to me as a "weak laser") and they'd repair it for free.

UPS tracking shows they received it on 11/21/01 so I don't have it back yet to test but so far I'm impressed.

C.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Lorne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have always had minor playback problems with this unit, and they seem to get worse all of the time. Usually, popping a laser lens cleaner in and rewiping an already spotless disc would solve them, but some discs are a constant problem. This player does not seem to want to play alternate versions of a disc AT ALL. I have yet to be able to view Rocky Horror Picture Show or Dressed to Kill in their alternate version without it skipping over complete chapters. Loading time is exceptionally slow, as is chapter search, and accessing special features (particularily deleted scenes) -- I've yet to be able to view the trailers on my Emperor's New Groove special edition disc. Minor pauses and skips during playback are fairly regular occurrences, as well.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Nicholas Cass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This was my first DVD player purchase. I originally went to Circuit City on a mission to buy an RCA dvd player, but the saleperson convinced me otherwise. (that, and Zenith was all they had left) So I thought, what the hey, Zenith had always been pretty decent, and it was only $50 more.
Well...I have to say I am disappointed. I think about almost every DVD I have played has skipped at least once in the movie. It seems to hate the movie "The Matrix", and it totally skips a whole chapter in "The Green Mile". I have found that if the DVD is completely clean with no traces of dust, it should work fine. However, if it is not 100% clean, you might as well rent a tape and watch it on a VCR. Overall, I am not impressed with this unit. I should've stuck with my instincts and bought the RCA.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Simon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Here's the score. This product was released with bad firmware. Zenith knows the problem and will fix it for free. I called Zenith, (256)774-4025, and explained the problem. Totally courteous, they sent me a UPS airbill to send it in. shipping there and back, the fix, everything gratis. No hassle. They didnt care about original recipts or proof of purchase at all. I played some problem disks as soon as I got it back and it works perfect. This doesnt excuse them for releasing a product that was defective, but at least they werent jerks about fixing it.

Purchased At:   The Wiz