Yamaha DVD-S1500 DVD Players

3.13/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

DVD-Audio and SACD playback, NTSC/PAL Progressive Scan, NTSC/PAL conversion, Faroudja DCDi processing, CD upsampling (176.4 kHz), 108MHz/12-bit video DAC, 192kHz/24-bit audio DAC, Audio Direct, MP3 navigation display, MP3 fast forward/rewind/special playback, gold-plated terminals for all pin jacks, optical and coaxial digital outputs, aluminum front panel, remote control, removeable IEC power cord.

Submitted by gruss72 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
OK unit for what I paid, kinda feel sorry for the folks that spent more than 200 bucks. Sound and Video quality marginally better than my Panasonic f85, but using the DACs in my reciever sound better than either so I didnt gain much there. Bass/speaker management is horrible. Guess its OK if you have a standard system but I run four large speakers. I just use the 2 channel out on it, since thats how I prefer to listen to music anyway, didnt fulfill my dreams of replacing the panasonic. Had to leave that hooked up for the rare occasion that I want to actually listen to the multi channel mix on a dvd-a

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by Rando235 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
My original unit had a very noisy transport, was slow to read/detect discs, would randomly "freeze" on Upon initial purchase of this unit, everything was fine. Over a period of several months, however, DVD-A discs (and some SACDs) would freeze the player at random points. Some brand-new SACD discs would refuse to load at all. I returned the unit to Yamaha, they sent me a new player, and all is well. Fantastic sounding SACD and DVD-A playback. Video playback is stellar with progressive scan and DCDi - very filmlike on my LCD TV.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by goododogbad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
Well, I love that it's universal and that it figures out what the formats are on it's own, but I have to agree with some of the above comments: it's slow to read discs, it's noisy, and the UI stinks.
Sound and picture quality seem top notch, but due to many random, and some repeatable problems I'm afarid I need to return this. My search for a decent and sub $500 universal player continues.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by johnzena a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit off the internet for $369.00 shipped to my door. This is an excellent SACD/DVDAudio DVD player. The sound quality is as good as any unit I've listened to up to a thousand dollars. The bass is deep and tight, the highs are extended with minimal grain. The only major quirk I've listened to is if you're going to use it in stereo mode you should use the dedicated combined stereo outputs. When I put the player in stereo mode through the user interface and used the front left right outputs from the five channel output the sound was way worse in comparison. No life with a totally dull sound. In mult-channel mode it worked much better. If your looking for a Universal player for under $1000.00 save your money and purchase this one.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by dmallard a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
Good, but this product never should have made it to market. Very noisy transport especially when playing CDs. I don't know if this was an individual flaw of if it is a defect of the unit in general. My guess is the latter. I did not want to go through the trouble of taking a second unit back.

Purchased At:   Tweeter