Yamaha DVD-C920 DVD Players

4.25/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $529.95

5-Disc DVD Changer

Submitted by Londo64 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this player because it was a 5 disc changer and it played DVD Audio/Video/CD, etc. I have several friends that have owned Yamaha equipment several years so I wasn't worried about durability. However, after only two years it quit reading the discs due to a failed spindle motor. $270 to repair. I'm very disappointed.

Purchased At:   Brandsmart

Submitted by RichS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an impressive player at an outstanding price.

I wanted a high-quality DVD player to compliment my Sony rear-projection HDTV, and as a musician and engineer, I also wanted a great sounding CD player and a taste of the new DVD-A format. I wanted all of this and I did NOT want to spend a grand.

It seemed like the only competitors in this price/performance category were this one and the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, which doesn't offer DCDi by Faroudja Processing, about which I'd read such wonderful things. The Pioneer is also a single disc player, and I like loading up a few disks and hitting "random".

The video and audio quality are what I expected, which is terrific. Colors are deep and rich, and there are no de-interlacing artifacts. Audio, as with most Yamaha products, is pristine and uncolored. Some material, unfortunately, could use some coloring.

FYI, my setup is as follows:
- Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver
- Paradigm CC-170 center speaker
- Paradigm Atoms L&R front speakers
- Paradigm Cinema 90 rear surround speakers
- Paradigm PDR-12 powered sub
- Sony KP-43HT20 43" HD rear-projection TV

This setup is great for video with surround sound and pretty OK for stereo or 5.1 music.

I use the player's digital coax out to the receiver, plus six RCA connectors for the DVD-A 5.1 output, which is analog only. I also route the component video through the receiver to the TV. I spent about $200 on various cables! And I'm talking about (relatively cheap) Audio Source cables.

I have to say, the player and receiver work nicely together. And, along with my Yamaha cassette deck, the components look very understated and attractive. Since they're in the middle of the living room, that's very important. To my wife, at least.

The only major complaint I have about this DVD player is that it seems to take forever to change a disk or load a new one. This is in comparison to other CD changers. I have no experience with other DVD changers, so I don't know if this problem is typical with all of them. I've never actually timed the delay, but it is definitely annoying.

Another thing that bothers me is that, to access the menu of a DVD-A (for example, to change the playback format from high-res stereo to 5.1 surround)I have to have the monitor on. It took me a while to realize this when I first set the unit up. It would be nice to access this menu using the display panel only.

I love the sound of DVD-A but I hate that there is such a limited selection of albums. Honestly, I found only 3 disks that I wanted to buy, so I actually listen to DVD-A maybe once every few weeks, at most. Hopefully this will change as the selection grows.

Complaints notwithstanding, I highly recommend this unit for both the average consumer and the audio/video enthusiast.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by redbopne3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This player is the best I have used and I have used many. You will not find Burr Brown Dacs and Faroujda chips in any machine less than a Grand. Awesome picture quality, superb sound, good features. For $399 its a no brainer with these features.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Worf101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this DVD Player. It plays everything you throw at it. I love the progressive scan, component outs, well made and laid out remote and overall quiet operation. I've no complaints about this player it doubles as my CD player in my bedroom system as well and plays MP3's and CDR's with equal aplomb. A little light in build and feel but hey, as long as it works. Can't say enough about the remote though. Outstanding and for the price??? A steal.

Purchased At:   Open Box on Ebay

Submitted by Harpo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent player for the money. I hate to differ with Davsan38 below...but I find the changer to be much faster than that of other players I looked at, and also I DO NOT have to select the progressive scan button
every time I watch a movie..It does STAY-ON until you de-select it.
For anyone out there looking for a Quality DVD player look no further.

Purchased At:   tweeter