Yamaha DV-C6770
Description: <li>Progressive Scan <li>Yamaha patented PlayXchange <li>DVD Video, SA-CD and SVCD, VCD, CD, CD-R/RW and MP3 Playback <li>JPEG, DivX and WMA playback <li>Picture CD Playback Video Processing <li>NTSC/PAL Progressive Scan <li>Video output 108MHz/12-bit Video DACs for High <li>Picture Quality <li>Progressive Component Video Outputs <li>S-Video and Composite Video Outputs <li>Video Picture Mode Audio Processing <li>192kHz/24-Bit D/A Conversion for High Quality Sound <li>Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs <li>SA-CD and DVD Audio Playback Compatibility <li>CD Upsampling (2x and 4x) Other Features Remote Control <li>Versatile Disc (DVD+RW/+R, <li>DVD-R/RW, Super Video CD, Video CD, CD and CD-R/RW) Playback <li>On-Screen Menu Icons <li>CD Text display <li>Zoom Function <li>Dimensions (WxHxD) : 17-1/8" X 2-15/16" X 16-3/4" <li>Weight: 12.1 lbs.

Submitted by brownieboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
This machine provides very good video quality and audio reproduction, with DVD-A playout sounding better than SACD. Wouldn't be able to say whether that's because one format is superior to the other, of if it's because the machine is better suited to DVD-A. In either case, I'm listening to my discs in 2-channel audio through an AMC 3050A integrated amp and Sound Dynamics 300ti speakers. The TV set is a Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 30" HDTV. No interactions problem with HDTV so far.

One major hidden flaw, however: the DV-C6770 doesn't have an HDCD decoder, and therefore HDCDs have significant audio dropouts at the beginning of every track. Before discovering this, I reported the dropout problem to Yamaha, who did not bother to ask if I was playing back HDCDs and had me return my first unit to them at great shipping cost. They sent me a new unit that reproduced the same dropouts. This time I surfed the web for answers, and I found out about the DV-C6770 HDCD problems.

Upon contacting Tech Support, Yamaha says they have no intention of providing a firmware upgrade to solve this problem. How the "player that plays everything you throw at it" comes without an HDCD decoder is beyond my comprehension, and Yamaha's reluctance to come up with a fix is simply irritating.

Everything else mentioned here is true: unbelievably slow carousel rotating times; settings for analog audio out and upsampling need to be set for every subsequent disc, as they always revert to their default settings after playing back the last one.

Other than that, for the money, this is a worthwhile machine.

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

Submitted by JCF a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit because of its features and a few good reviews posted here and elsewhere. On the positive side, it plays everything (including both DVD-audio and SACD formats) and is a five disc changer. Unfortunately, the unit is very slow to respond to commands, especially loading a disc and opening the tray. It takes 15 long seconds for the tray to open. Honestly, it would be quicker to open a single disc tray and swap discs than to disc-skip through this multi-disc changer. Moreover, the tray doesn't rotate or come out all the way, so it is very difficult to access the back two discs. More importantly, two units have failed on me after a couple of weeks. They both had the same problem (stopped loading discs or opening the tray). I had to send both units back to J&R full of CDs/DVDs. The Video and Audio quality were fine, but the build quality is poor. I upgraded to a Denon DVD-2910 and have been much happier.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by jawzx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I actualy have the DV-C6770, which as far as I can tell is exactly the same as the DVD-C750, why Yamaha has two identical models with different designations is beyond me. I could understand different numbers for different colors, but both units are available in silver or black, and the instruction manuals are identical except for the title page. Well, on to the review, I'll leave model designation speculation to the marketeers.

I got this unit to replace my Playstation 2 as the primary DVD player in my system, and to simultaniously replace the 14 year old Sony CD changer I've had since I was 12. Fisrt and foremost I was looking for a changer, but I held out for the Yamaha due to the fact that is also a DVD-A and SACD palyer.

This unit does everything it says it does. That in itself is a pretty big pro, just given the feature list. DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD and CD-Upsampling, Built-in DTS and Dolby Digital, Pro-Logic II, Virtual Surround, VCD, SVCD, MP3, JPEG, PhotoCD, Bass Management... I've tested them all, and they all work as advertised.

The Yamaha is a simple machine from a UI stand point, with few bells, few whistles and not too many buttons. Picture adjustments are avialable, but the default set-up is very good, Video quality is about as good as I've ever seen from composite (time for a new TV soon) and the onscreen display, which allows you to change and look at data without interupting what's playing is slick. Adjustments to audio-output settings fade in and out rather than "hitching" or "blipping" which is quite neat. Overall audio quality rates as very good, but not quite excellent. It's audio output is much better than my old Sony, as good or maybe a little better than my Audio-Alchemy DacInTheBox, but not truely high-end.

Load times are not fast, but not painfully slow either, Play exchange is nice, as a previous reviewer noted random works, and it even works across audio-media types! Put an SACD, a DVD-A and some CDs in it and hit random, there you go. If there is a DVD-video or VCD in the tray though it skips them in random mode, which is just fine by me.

My only complaints so far are these:

A) The remote is a Philips device, and (I'm not sure if this is SOP at Philips) it uses multiple codes on each button. For example there are two distinct codes sent when the "On-screen" button is pressed. The first time the button is pressed it sends a "show display" code, and the next time it is pressed it sends a "close display" code. This means the following: a) You may have to press the button as many as three times to get the display to appear or go away if the remote was blocked or poorly aimed on the first try. 2) Most learning remotes will require two buttons to be programed just to be able to show and close the on-screen display. This is even worse for the "zoom" function, which rotates between FOUR distinct codes. I suppose for the custom installer this is a boon, but for the average end-user trying to set-up a universal remote it's a pain in the @$$. Sometimes discreet codes are more trouble than thay are worth. I also don't really understand the use of all these discreet codes on such an entry-level peice of equipment.

B) There is no dedicated rew/ffwd button. Either holding the skip fwd/bk buttons, or using the left/right arrow keys performs this function, but it can be confusing the first time you use it. Also the fact that the menu arrow buttons function as transport controls is NOT documented in the manual.

c) For some inecplicable reason the multichannel outputs are about 5 db quieter than the stereo outputs. I thought it might be an issue with my Onkyo receiver as I have never used it's mulichannel analog inputs before, but the digital and stereo levels match perfectly... I'll have to swap some cables arround and make sure before I blame the Yamaha, but I do find this some what annoying.

c) I did also manage to lock the player up by flipping back and forth between the stereo and multi-channel layers on an SACD. It continued to play audio but would not respond to any button presses and the display froze. The front panel power button DID turn it off, and it worked fine after a restart. I was able to repeat the crash by doing the same thing. This is a minor problem in my book, but If little glitches like this exist I wonder what else might be lurking. I hope this player has user-upgradable firmware in case some more malevolent glitch should rear it's head. Other than this error though I have not found anything else wrong.

Purchased At:   OneCall