Toshiba SD-3006 DVD Players

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

DVD/CD player

Submitted by sonyjapanfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a one hell of a dvd player. I was thinking on whether to get a new or used dvd player and decide to purchase the used old 1st generation Toshiba dvd player. One reason why I purchase it because, in my opinion, 1st generation tends to be the best of all. Newer one tends to freeze and skips the whole time. Plus, the parts are more fragile and feel cheap. The 1st generation Toshiba SD-3006 never skips, no "no disc" error problem, and freezes. Probably because it was Made in Japan.

If you see one for cheap, go get one now.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Michel Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
ha ! I use it for nearly 3 years . I didn't find any major problem for using it . I really enjoy it for past 3 years . I knew this is so much new DVD products release from Japan and US and China . But I still enjoy this Toshiba DVD player much ! Well , the picture was really good and stable . But sound was not too beautiful . Well , price was the main point why I choose . In Hong kong ...it's only 1000 HK$ . Brand new price not used product .

Well , it's no DTS output ...but I'm OK . I don't like too much surround sound effect . I use it like a pure audio deck with visual output . It's my style .

Anyways , I suggest this machine to some people who don't want to affort to much money for DVD player . In HK , it's only a very cheap DVD player . But good in picture and 100% made in japan .

Submitted by Yoon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for 3 years now, and haven't had any major problems I can't live with. Sound and picture are great. As with the other reviewers here, I'm providing this review purely out of providing reference.

As an older model, there's no DTS and no Optical output. It does have a pause, about 1 sec, between layer changes (I'm willing to live with that, considering that I wasn't even sure if it could play dual-layer DVDs until recently).

There's an occasional artifacting (only caught it about half a dozen times in the 3 years I've played it). I've had only two DVDs that had any real problems (neither of them worth mentioning... you'd never buy them), and even then I won't rule out that it wasn't a bad DVD mastering job.

All in all, I have gotten my money's worth all these years. I feel no rush to go out and get another DVD player, as long as it continues to play all the DVDs coming out on the market.

Submitted by Corey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
For being a very early model, this DVD player performs quite well. It has played almost every DVD I've thrown at it without a hitch. My one major complaint against it is the noise level. This seems to be a running theme with Toshiba products (same thing happens on their VCRs). The motor noise can become very apparent during quiet stretches. It bothers me almost to the point of upgrading to a different machine.

Submitted by Michael Romo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is an older DVD player, and I am reviewing it mainly as a reference. I purchased mine from onsale.com in April 1998 for $399, and I have been very pleased with the performance and plan to give it to my parents once I get a newer model.

This is a strong machine, and if you find one for under $200 in good condition, I would recommend it. The only drawback is that it doesn't have DTS, but as it is an older model, it's understandable...

Wood Technology: