Toshiba SD-2008 DVD Players

3.86/5 (14 Reviews)

DVD Player

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
My Toshiba SD-2008 works great (good audio, video, and dts playback) except that it is the first player I have encountered that does NOT play cd-r's (an essential feature to me) and drops off the audio and video at the end of chapters. If you can overlook these major faults, then this may be the player for you. Personally, I think it is a piece of junk.

Purchased At:   Sam's

Submitted by FRANK C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this DVD player over 2 years. I just recently picked up a Denon AVR-3300 that DTS decoding. Last night I just wanted to see what would happen. Even though the unit say nothing about DTS on it or in the manual. It played it!!! I was shocked. I just purchased another dvd player that has DTS decoding on it just for this reason. I wished I had tried this out first. Oh well. Only thing that has gone bad is the remote. One day it quit working after about 19 months. Still a great deck. No CD-R play back

Purchased At:   BESTBUY

Submitted by Greg Alford a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my first DVD player. I only paid $120 new for the unit - probably because the next generation on players came out (I bought in May 2000). I love almost everything about the DVD format. The sharpness of the image, the digital 5.1 playback, the special features, etc. My player was made in 1999, so I have not experienced the audio dropoffs listed earlier.

The unit does pause(audio and video)however, during the layer change on dual layer discs. I hope to find a player that can handle this better in the future.

Otherwise - I don't think I could have made a better buy to get started (I got 5 free DVD's with my purchase too).

If you can still find this unit in warehouse clubs like I did - it is outstanding for an entry level player at an unbeatable price.

I give it 5 stars for value - and 4 stars overall.

Purchased At:   Sam's Warehouse

Submitted by Tom B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very please with this entry level Toshiba player. I've noticed that the new models even the higher end 3109 have the same video and audio resolution, so the newer players are all about side features. The picture and sound are the same as this player. This model is much better than the SD2006 I started with which was a first generation. (Which was nice in its day.) Sharper picture and more robust sound.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by Kelly McNamara a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This has been a solid DVD player for me for a year and a half. It's played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. The reason I'm writing this review on an old product is to provide some neat info for owners of this DVD player.

I just got a new DD/DTS receiver and have hooked the player to it with the digital coax connection. I rented the new Twister DVD yesterday which features DTS surround and, on a lark, selected DTS in the DVD's menu just to see what would happen. I was shocked when my receiver switched to DTS mode and played the DTS track flawlessly! Nowhere in any of the literature or on the front of the unit does it say anything about passing DTS through, but it does!

My unit was manufactured in December 1998 so if yours was made earlier, YMMV. I was going to upgrade to an SD-1200 just so I could get DTS output but now I don't have to. Thanks Toshiba!

TARA LABS: